Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
I have often said we could rebuild,refurnish,etc. many poor nations with what goes in our landfills.Yes i know the cars will be crushed and melted down and not end up in the landfills.Wouldn't it have been better to offer these cars as freebies to the poorer nations around the world.Pay for shipping and they are yours.How much is improved in the usa/world to trade in a 17mpg to go to 19 mpg? It just seems ridiculous to seize good engines and crush so many good vehicles.Perhaps even people in the usa could have been given the cars? They could have even resold them to our own poor for $50 a month till they really crapped out.Going to either our own poor or some other nation would have built a lot of good will.Do you think there isn't an unemployed poor american that could have used a pickup truck and then been able to be employed? Hell give the cuban people 2,000 cars and they will build fishing boats with them. How about Oprah shipping over some to africa? Any one get my drift?Am i stupid or what? Take your best shot i'm rubber.

I'm with you 100%. They could have gone to better causes. You have a great point there. It would have made more sense. The destruction aspect shows how wasteful we are as a society. REP points are in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,418,683 times
Went to the local yard today for a few parts for the LeBaron brothers (a '90 and a '94). In the yard, fresh from the dealer's clunker lot, was a perfectly good minivan, an '02 Chrysler. Not a mark on it other than a smashed rear window with a muffler through it. Guess the dealer's boys had some fun with it. Smelled clean inside, not a stain or tear and looked like the previous owner vacuumed it before they sold it.

The only consolation is the front clip and window will be placed on a wrecked van the yard has which they'll then put out for sale.

So, we've taken a perfectly good used van off the road which well help place a wrecked van back on the road. What was really gained if you multiply this by tens of thousands? The rebuildable yards must be having a field day.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:54 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Went to the local yard today for a few parts for the LeBaron brothers (a '90 and a '94). In the yard, fresh from the dealer's clunker lot, was a perfectly good minivan, an '02 Chrysler. Not a mark on it other than a smashed rear window with a muffler through it. Guess the dealer's boys had some fun with it. Smelled clean inside, not a stain or tear and looked like the previous owner vacuumed it before they sold it.

The only consolation is the front clip and window will be placed on a wrecked van the yard has which they'll then put out for sale.

So, we've taken a perfectly good used van off the road which well help place a wrecked van back on the road. What was really gained if you multiply this by tens of thousands? The rebuildable yards must be having a field day.
A 2002 Chrysler minivan would not have qualified for the program. It is too new.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
A 2002 Chrysler minivan would not have qualified for the program. It is too new.
'02 Chrysler minivans with the 3.8L 6 cylinder were on the list as were those with the 3.3L. The 4 cylinder models did not qualify.

Several models of Chrysler product minivans were on the CARS list, right up to the 2009 model if someone really felt like getting rid of one.

source: the government's website on the CARS program.

Last edited by Bazzwell; 09-12-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 09-12-2009, 11:01 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
Quote:
'02 Chrysler minivans with the 3.8L 6 cylinder were on the list as were those with the 3.3L. The 4 cylinder models did not qualify.

Several models of Chrysler product minivans were on the CARS list, right up to the 2009 model if someone really felt like getting rid of one.

source: the government's website on the CARS program.
Thats right. I seen several early 2000s Chrysler-Dodge minivans at our local Honda dealer lot with CFC on the windows... some still looked like brand new! One was at least a 2003 model!

I also noticed a 2001 or 2002 Nissan Xterra 4wd SUV... looked very nice too. I would think trade-in would have been higher than $4500 anyway on that, but perhaps it had a mechanical issue that needed addressed?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

I also noticed a 2001 or 2002 Nissan Xterra 4wd SUV... looked very nice too. I would think trade-in would have been higher than $4500 anyway on that, but perhaps it had a mechanical issue that needed addressed?
You could have traded in a 2009 Xterra if you wanted provided your replacement vehicle got 2 mpg better.

Kelley Blue Book estimates $4725 trade-in value for a good condition '02 Xterra w/100k. $3700 for an '02 Chrysler minivan in the same condition. So for the average driver who keeps a vehicle for a few years and trades, it wasn't too far off what they would have gotten anyway.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:59 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,236,460 times
Quote:
You could have traded in a 2009 Xterra if you wanted provided your replacement vehicle got 2 mpg better.

Kelley Blue Book estimates $4725 trade-in value for a good condition '02 Xterra w/100k. $3700 for an '02 Chrysler minivan in the same condition. So for the average driver who keeps a vehicle for a few years and trades, it wasn't too far off what they would have gotten anyway.

Wow - thats interesting. Sure dont hold values like Toyotas do they?

Someone emailed me this....

"A vehicle at 15 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 800 gallons a year of gasoline.
A vehicle at 25 mpg and 12,000 miles per year uses 480 gallons a year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by 320 gallons per year.
They claim 700,000 vehicles - so that's 224 million gallons /year.
That equates to a bit over 5 million barrels of oil.
5 million barrels of oil is about ¼ of one day's US consumption.

And, 5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So, we all contributed to spending $3 billion to save $350 million.

How good a deal was that ???

They'll probably do a great job with health care though"!

Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM

444 posts, read 1,251,077 times
I'll piggy-back here. I'm out shopping for a college car for my sister. Honda dealership near us has about a dozen very nice older vehicles that are CFC. It's sickening to them them be wasted...clean Silverado's, Troopers, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive