Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:21 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,294,144 times

Advertisements

Yeah and you know I started thinking about this again when I was driving home from work this afternoon and passed a Ford Crown Victoria like that one, only it was in alot worse shape... dents, peeling paint, etc, but its still alive and well.... WHY couldnt the owner of this 4900 mile like new Crown Victoria traded this like new car to someone with a real junker (that had owned a car for a year) and traded that car in? I know there are certain stipulations, but surely there was a way this could work out if both parties worked together.

I would about bet this dealer knows that car is worth more than $4500 and will sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I know... who was the idiot who brought that in? You could have done a buy it now on ebay for at least that amount and it would be GONE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
I don't know where this car lot is but someone could ask the person that put the video on youtube. In the comments section they said the car is still there. I don't think much can be done to rescue the car at this point. They also have a video of a nice looking Cadillac limo that someone turned in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 04:10 AM

941 posts, read 3,920,647 times
At a local mall, I found a HUGE stash of CFC vehicles waiting to be crushed in a desolate parking area. It was like a junkyard! I was tempted to help myself to some parts...

Old 09-05-2009, 04:33 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,673,773 times
I think the government is being stupid about this. Why don't we just sell and ship these cars to CUBA? We all know it is only a matter of a few years before we normalize relations with them and they are driving cars from the 1950's because nothing else has been available since the embargo. Even if we sell some of them for $2500 it's a win, win situation.
Today in Cuba only one in 10 people who could drive are able to afford a car. We need to build up their economy so they don't all come here to live off the dole when the time comes. Also, why would we want other enemies to move in so close to our border when the Cuban people have so many relatives here that they would welcome the friendship and connection.
When we are able to go there as real tourists and when people here are able to visit their families, both countries will benefit.
Why can't we embrace the win win situation?
There are probably other places in the world that would welcome these vehicles also. We need to think about recycling.

Last edited by yukiko11; 09-05-2009 at 04:43 AM..

Old 09-05-2009, 01:45 PM

436 posts, read 910,733 times
This is another stupid Liberal scheme to get rid of large cars and to put us into lawn mowers without the lawn attachments, and a waste of some good vehicles.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,056,446 times
If the crunchy libs REALLY lived what they preach, they would not be buying a brand new Toyota Penus that MIGHT, MIGHT get 40mpg on the highway and took TONS of energy to produce. They would purchase a 20 year old Honda HF that already "paid back" it's production energy use.

The 20 year old Honda Civic HF was pulling 52mpg. No batteries, no "light up" leaf on the dash to make you feel important. Just a basic car that got good mileage.

As for big cars being "gas guzzlers" I'd love, LOVE to see the mileage statistics of the Pruis that blows by me at 85 mph on the highway...I'm sure all that reclaimed "brake energy" is helping there.

Guys on the last Hot Rod Power Tour with over drive transmissions and EFI engines were pulling down 25-29mpg on the highway.

I just find it laughable that the "reuse reduce recycle" crowd is for destroying perfectly good cars, and their parts that can be "recycled" and would also be be owned OUTRIGHT. Morons.

The reality is, it's just a payback to the auto unions and banks that got bailed out by the same government. Vote these gangsters out in 12.

Last edited by JViello; 09-05-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 03:29 PM

436 posts, read 910,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
If the crunchy libs REALLY lived what they preach, they would not be buying a brand new Toyota Penus that MIGHT, MIGHT get 40mpg on the highway and took TONS of energy to produce. They would purchase a 20 year old Honda HF that already "paid back" it's production energy use.

The 20 year old Honda Civic HF was pulling 52mpg. No batteries, no "light up" leaf on the dash to make you feel important. Just a basic car that got good mileage.

As for big cars being "gas guzzlers" I'd love, LOVE to see the mileage statistics of the Pruis that blows by me at 85 mph on the highway...I'm sure all that reclaimed "brake energy" is helping there.

Guys on the last Hot Rod Power Tour with over drive transmissions and EFI engines were pulling down 25-29mpg on the highway.

I just find it laughable that the "reuse reduce recycle" crowd is for destroying perfectly good cars, and their parts that can be "recycled" and would also be be owned OUTRIGHT. Morons.

The reality is, it's just a payback to the auto unions and banks that got bailed out by the same government. Vote these gangsters out in 12.
They are also selling cars to people that down the road will be asking for a bailout because they can't afford the car payments.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,428,411 times
Local wrecker says from the time they receive the vehicle from the auto dealer, they have six months from that date to sell anything from that vehicle, with the exception of the engine of course.

So, they can sell every body part, every interior part, every wheel and hubcap, every brake rotor and drum, every piece of glass. But, they can't sell the thing as a whole. At the end of six months the remains have to be documented as crushed. I know truck nuts who wouldn't part with their beat up hulks for $45k that are almost camping out at the yard entrance, tools in hand, waiting for the flatbed to bring them in.

Just my opinion....the heck it is....I know a lot of folks who agree this was just a wrong idea from the get-go.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,294,144 times
Yep! I know alot more against it than for it! I think the part about the trade-ins being destroyed is really getting to alot people. If they were all truely clunkers (and some are) it would be a neat program and/or if they would sell parts off of them, or resell and donate money to a charity, but perfectly good running cars are being destroyed.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:33 AM

630 posts, read 1,878,267 times
Less use of gasoline=lower trade deficit=lower interest rates+healthier enviorment.Although poorly administered,probably the most sucessful part of the stimulus plan to date.Our dependence on foriegn energy sources is the ROOT of all evil this country brings upon itself.Getting crappy polluting,gas guzzling monsters off the road should have been priorty one since the first oil embargo (1973)!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:34 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,056,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroae23 View Post
Less use of gasoline=lower trade deficit=lower interest rates+healthier enviorment.Although poorly administered,probably the most sucessful part of the stimulus plan to date.Our dependence on foriegn energy sources is the ROOT of all evil this country brings upon itself.Getting crappy polluting,gas guzzling monsters off the road should have been priorty one since the first oil embargo (1973)!
Okay, lets say all you wrote is true.

Several things come to mind that I would appreciate your "opinion" on.

1. If foreign oil is the root of all our evil, why don't we tap into our OWN fossil resources such as oil and natural gas? Simple fix without crushing cars and making Peter pay for Paul's new car.

2. You do understand that the majority of the cars turned in did not have to get hardly any better mileage at all for the $3500 check right? How does that help?

3. The fed's MPG rating and tests time and again have proven to be inaccurate and slanted against larger vehicles. They have in fact readjusted their figures again. (Go figure.)

4. Please answer #1 first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive