Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 AM

5 posts, read 67,278 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005 Volkswagon Jetta and surprise the headliner is already falling down. No repair shop will fix it because the only way to get the board out is to take out the windshield. Is there anyway to fix it without having to take the board out? Just glueing it isn't working as the foam is rotting. Can I just scrap the foam out and glue it? I am really frustrated because I don't want to take it to the dealership because I know they will charge a small fortune.

This car has been one of the worst purchases ever. I would never own a VW again. I have never had so many problems with a car especially since it is only 4 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I'm not sure where you're located, but there are usually shops in metro areas that will do them (without taking it to the squealer).

Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM

I'm in Orlando, FL. I called four places and all said that they couldn't get the board out. I called the VW dealership and they said they would have to replace the entire thing which would run about $800. I don't need it to look perfect I just want it to stay up. The material is in good condition with no rips its just the foam is rotted.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:30 AM

And what does "without taking it to the squealer" mean?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:24 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty99 View Post
I'm in Orlando, FL. I called four places and all said that they couldn't get the board out. I called the VW dealership and they said they would have to replace the entire thing which would run about $800. I don't need it to look perfect I just want it to stay up. The material is in good condition with no rips its just the foam is rotted.

I know this might sound tacky but I had an old LTD that had same problem and we just used white tacks and made a straight pattern across whole
ceiling so as not to draw attention to sagging area only.

It did not look bad when we finished.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I know this might sound tacky but I had an old LTD that had same problem and we just used white tacks and made a straight pattern across whole
ceiling so as not to draw attention to sagging area only.

It did not look bad when we finished.
I did the same thing with my first car, a '68 Belvedere. I stapled that bad boy back together! Ah, such simple times.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
LOL I was just thinking a staple gun would work great

Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Stapling it isn't really an option I would choose to do. This is only a 4 year old car. If it was a junker I wouldn't care. What I really want to know is it possible to be repaired without the board being removed? I know it won't look like it did before it fell down but still better than using staples or tacks.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty99 View Post
I don't need it to look perfect I just want it to stay up.
Either pay full boat to have it repaired properly or staples seem to be the only option!

Is there an independant VW shop in your town? They would do the job cheaper than the dealer.

You may also want to check on a VW forum such as vwvortex.com, I bet they would have good info.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I have done many VW's myself, but not something so new.

I would look at some earlier models to see if you can 'rob' a trim piece to go in front of headliner (where it meets the windshield) then...

1) I would remove all the plastic surround pieces , cut the portion of 'headliner backing form' at windshield (Headliner form material) and drop out the 'headliner backing form'. Then I pull off the old stuff, and use a brass brush (like a pot scrubber) to remove foam residue from the 'headliner backing form'.

Get your fabric to replace at an auto upholstery jobber (~$15) and get some 3M spray adhesive they will recommend (~$7). Spray the form, lay it on the kitchen table, and with some help... start applying the material in the center and work out to the edges (all the while keeping the NON-stuck material high enough to not get wrinkles) Like installing countertop laminate.

Then re-install 'headliner backing form' with a trim piece at windshield. (or make some small wire clips that match the headliner material to hold it up).

this job will take about 3 hrs w/o sunroof, and 4 hrs w/ sunroof

2) go to several private auto upholstery shops an get their ideas. To have them do it will be ~ $300.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive