Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a 1997 Ford Taurus G 3.0v6 and when its running it is missing. I have changed out the plugs, plug wires, did a test with the wires that are connected to the coil pack (spark test), unplugged and plugged back in the front 3 injectors while the car is running. Hooked it up to the little computer that you plug in under the dash and ran the tests with that and it didn't even pick up that my car is missing when it is running. Also the cam shaft sensor is bad. How hard is that to change out? Also can any help with the miss firing of my car please? Thank you and have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM

17,250 posts, read 57,346,398 times
Hi, welcome to the forums.

I'm not a particular expert on this engine, but if you know you have a bad cam sensor you probably need to change that out before you can really troubleshoot.

Think "vacuum leaks" - look for vacuum leaks in the vacuum tubing under the hood.

How old is your fuel filter? I doubt it would cause a miss, but again catching up deferred maintenance is good practice.

How do you know the car is missing? When did it start?

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,048 times
Hello and thanks for your reply. I had a mechanic test the car with a computer and told me that the sensor was bad and it would cost about $500 to $600 to fix, but do not have the money to fix, also the mechanic said that it would not hurt my car if I didnt fix it. Not sure how old my fuel filter is but will check that out along with the vacuum leaks. Yes the check engine light is on. The mechanic said it was missing and you can feel it when the car is running.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:20 PM

11,158 posts, read 29,430,200 times
I think you are goujng to run into the same problem I am having with my winter beater/daily driver 91 F250 where it comes to the point in it's life where you either start dumping lots of money into it to keep it going or save that money and start looking for something newer to repalce it

Old 03-21-2010, 08:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,237,832 times
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...WLK+LH7viyyDAr

Click you part number and it'll pull up a diagram pointing at the part for you. 6B288 is you camshaft position sensor and yes if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 PM

42 posts, read 92,635 times
Here's the best kept secret in auto repair in central Ohio. There is a technical school south of Plain City with a automotive program. They will work on cars for free as long as you supply the parts if necessary. This gives the students a chance to get practice. Tolles Technical School is the name. I've heard of people getting hundreds of dollars of work done for only the cost of a few parts.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,171,994 times
I had the cam position sensor go bad on the same car as yours. The parts were about 150 bucks and if you have any mechanical skills you can do it yourself. A bad CPS will not make the engine miss and I think you have another issue causing this. Did it show JUST ONE trouble code? 5 to 6 hundred just for that repair is a RIPP OFF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive