Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,469,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
I'm not enjoying my experience with them and will defiantly switch once this is over. They are responsible for what they feel the car is worth and I have Gap insurance that will pay the balance. So Monday if they tell me the car is fixable I'm going to tell them I signed over all rights to them and they need to pay Capital one because I no longer have any rights to the car.
Your not suggesting you don't owe the balance of the loan are you and that Progressive does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:10 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,002,648 times
A "Power of Attorney" means exactly what is written, no more, no less.
You gave the Insurance Company the right to sell your car, to anybody, for any amount. The POA you apparently signed says nothing about paying off liens or gaining a clear title.
You need to communicate better with your insurance agent. It is his/her job to make sure you understand exactly what is going on.
Good luck.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:48 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,982,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
A "Power of Attorney" means exactly what is written, no more, no less.
You gave the Insurance Company the right to sell your car, to anybody, for any amount. The POA you apparently signed says nothing about paying off liens or gaining a clear title.
You need to communicate better with your insurance agent. It is his/her job to make sure you understand exactly what is going on.
Good luck.
Exactly! I do understand as I have contacted my attorney but Progressive has not been professional at all and has defiantly lost me as a client.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
My car was stolen and found and insurance company said it was totaled. Now they want me to sign power of attorney???? To who the car is paid in total. I don't get it

Old 12-08-2014, 09:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,770,743 times
A power of attorney just gives the insurance company the right to sell the car, work with the title, pay off loan balances and receive the title, etc. All you're doing is giving them rights to the car to transfer or dispose of it.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:14 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,882,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
A power of attorney just gives the insurance company the right to sell the car, work with the title, pay off loan balances and receive the title, etc. All you're doing is giving them rights to the car to transfer or dispose of it.
This is correct. One of my cars was totalled this year, and I signed a POA after agreeing on a settlement amount when I picked up the check. They paid off my credit union for the balance and got the title from them and sold it at auction a few weeks later. Once I got the check, I was finished with the car. Otherwise I would have had to sign the title over to the insurance company after it was paid off, which would have been a bit more inconvienient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive