Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 23,762 times

Advertisements

I have 2006 Buick Rainier and it was constantly feeling like it was in 4-wheel drive. I took it to a local repair shop and they diagnosed it as having a bad transfer case shift motor. Also, it has a front pinion seal leaking and a shift shaft seal leaking. My question is, is this a common problem with the Rainier? I have read many forums and am getting mixed messages. Also, has Buick had any type of recall on this Rainier? and is this considered a electrical or mechanical problem? I want to make sure the guys that sold this to me are on the up and up. It seems odd that this would go bad right after purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 23,488 times
I have a 2005 Buick Rainier and I love it aside from this AWD system...new technologies are great but what good is this system with no button or switch to take out of Auto or to put it in 4HI all the time. Anytime I have needed my 4wheel drive the truck looses traction before it indicates that it is needed and I am half way in the ditch....do not like...but I had the same problem, my mechanic looked at it and as soon as he loosened a screw on the TCSM he heard something inside (loose) so he opened and when doing so he noticed that nothing inside was lined up and he put it back together and it seems like it has worked. It has only been a few hours since he had done this so I will let you know if this did not solve the problem.

If there are any mechanics or owners out there that have experienced and went through this as well and it did not fix it and they had to replace or do something else or different please let me know with a reply.

At first I thought I was going to have to spend tons of $$ at the Dealership for them to fix, but with all the horror stories with our local Buick Dealer I am very apprehensive to make an appt. So hopefully this fixed it and I won't have to give in to that option.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,238,155 times
Check out GMTNation its a gm truck from but most of the guys there have GMT360's (Trailblazer,Envoy,Raineer,9-7x)

Old 11-16-2013, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 23,162 times
I have a 2004 Rainier that feels like it's in all wheel drive all the time. Any other ideas as to the problem' I have changes the transfer case fluid twice. Ps it just started doing this. Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 22,944 times
I have an '02 Bravada, same Transfer Case NP226(?). From my experience, if it feels like it's stuck in 4x4 where it is crop-hopping in tight radius turns it can be a couple of things:

1 - Fluid (Blue dealership only AutoTrack2 fluid) - 2qts.
2 - Shift / Encoder Motor

First if your 'check AWD' light is on AND you are now stuck in 4x4, then it's likely the Encoder motor. DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE the vehicle or you will destroy the t-case. Get a new encoder motor and 2-4 quarts of AutoTrack2 fluid from dealer.

The Encoder motor will cost about $130 at auto parts store for a Dorman. OEM one is about $700 at dealer.

I only have experience with Dorman encoder motor and have gone through 4 of them in less than a year...

The repair is simple, 4 bolts on side of t-case in encoder motor. After you remove the bolts, if the encoder motor is stuck there you know you found the culprit, it's stuck in 4x4. you need to wedge it out of there gently. Once out, swap the two guides out to the new one and put the new one in. The shaft is keyed with a little notch so there is only one position the new one will go in. The shaft should turn freely in your t-case, or you are in trouble...

Once you swap the encoder motor for the new one drive it for 15min. Depending on how many miles you put on your t-case while it was in 4x4 on dry pavement see how sticky the clutches are after 15min. If it still feels like it's kind of in 4x4 you will want to drain the fluid. The dealer procedure calls for draining and refilling - Twice. Drive for 15min and repeat. Since this stuff is $7 a quart, I hate the thought of pouring out $15. If you don't flush and refill, you will notice binding in the clutches. Seriously, you need to flush and fill at least once...

To put in new fluid you need to get a small pump that fits on quart bottles at auto parts stores. There is no way to do this otherwise...

Honestly, the job will take you 30min to put in new encoder motor
drive for 15min
30min to jack up again and put in new t-case fluid.
15min to drink beer...

Now, if someone can tell me why mine has gone through 4 encoder motors (Dorman) within a year of having it 'Rebuilt' from dealer. Please let me know.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:44 AM

2 posts, read 14,673 times
Default 2006 rainier AWD locked up

im having the same problem so i parked mine this spring and started looking for answers but found many people having the same problems...i'm planning to take mine in too but first looking into what it can be??...it seems to me that there are many variables and im wondering if it is possible to bypass the the system and put in a manual switch ??...my unit is in mint shape except for this problem si im hoping i can get more info on this situation??....thanks in advance...p.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 11,927 times
I literally just registered on this forum so I can ask a similar question. hate to ressurect an old post, however you mentioned that if the output shaft on the transfer case that the encoder motor connector does not move you are in trouble. Can you elaborate I that issue as I have an issue with a 2004 buick Rainer that has that exact problem.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,096 times
The shift motors are garbage. I've put 3 on in 1 year. Wonder if you could unhook harness and remove universal in front end? And loose the issue altogether?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC