Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you drive a standard or automatic?
Standard 55 58.51%
Automatic 48 51.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:07 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the UK, learned to drive on stick shifts and spent much of my driving life with them. When I started driving at 17, my parents car didn't have syncromesh on first gear so you had to feel for just the right revs to be able to slip the car into first without grinding the gears. Then there were the times you had to double declutch to get into gear. Stick shifts today are a doddle.

Agree with pinetreecity that it is similar to learning to ride a bike.

As a younger .... and faster .... driver, I loved working the gears manually. Especially 3rd where you could really pile on the acceleration in traffic. But now, as an older ... and possibly wiser .... driver, I am quite happy to trundle along in my automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 12:48 PM

456 posts, read 1,577,163 times
Well it didn't go so bad! The first time I got into first gear without stalling but the next few times, I stalled! However I was expecting to stall but am glad that I got the car going a few times regardless.

Going to have another stick lesson here in a few days. I am looking at buying a manual car so hopefully I will start to get the hang of this!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmoney View Post
Well it didn't go so bad! The first time I got into first gear without stalling but the next few times, I stalled! However I was expecting to stall but am glad that I got the car going a few times regardless.

Going to have another stick lesson here in a few days. I am looking at buying a manual car so hopefully I will start to get the hang of this!
Wait till you are going up a hill and get stopped at traffic lights. Then you need to be able to hold the car on the clutch and, when the lights change, squeeze the accelerator and release the clutch in such a way that you manage to move forward without either stalling or ramming the car in front.

When you can do that, you can drive a stick shift

Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
I drive manuals because they are generally cheaper than automatics. On some cars if you buy one with an auto it is $1500 extra! I'd rather spend my money on other options, like heated seats. I've been driving manual transmissions for almost 20 years now and have never had to replace the clutch in one. One of those cars I owned 13 years (but it was very low mileage cause I had a really short commute to work, and shared rides part of the time). If I was buying a used car that came with an auto, I wouldn't rule it out just because of the transmission, but I wouldn't pay extra for one.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:26 PM

227 posts, read 795,305 times
Yeah, it costs less to have a manual transmission fixed than an automatic. Inclines were my final obstacle. I was taught a method of holding the break and the clutch together steady so you don't roll back, then give it gas. But I have managed to just quickly give it gas as I let the clutch out. It takes practice but it doesn't take long to learn.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:45 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I had the luxury of learning on back roads in rural WI years ago, so no "pressure" or traffic. But when we taught our daughter a couple years ago, it was first in the HS parking lot ( wide open spaces ) till she was comfortable with stop/start as well as up and down shifts. THEN it was out for some real world training.
And after 4 yrs of owning manuals, she flat refuses to even drive an AT ( of course she and her group are all "tuners" so they all drive stick ).
I will say this: it is much easier for kids these days to learn manuals then us older folk. They have fuel injection for smooth acceleration; hydraulic clutches, and most cars w/ manuals are 4 cyl. All easy to go.
I learned on a 66 Chevelle SS, w/ 4.11 rear axle and gobs of torque. I'm sure my pops pulled out a few hairs when he said "give it some gas".... and I did...
I can almost see it now, me as a scrawny 15 yr old, kicking the arse end of the car out sideways; and using that nice large steeing wheel to try and control it...

Oh, on the hill thing--when learning, just make sure you dont hold the car in place with the clutch partially engaged. It will not last if doing that frequently.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM

182 posts, read 503,012 times
I perfer to drive a standard but they are getting hard to find. Half ton pickups (4WD) aren't available with standard tranys anymore (maybe dodge?).

Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 AM

227 posts, read 795,305 times
A friend of mine just got a 350 or 450, I forget now, in a standard. His wife was telling me how the reverse is up near first. Honestly, that makes sense to me.

I'm quite happy that I can drive a standard now. Something about it feels cooler, not sure why. lol

Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Oh, on the hill thing--when learning, just make sure you dont hold the car in place with the clutch partially engaged. It will not last if doing that frequently.
I drove manuals for 27 years. Always held the car on a hill with the clutch partially engaged. Never ever had to replace or fix one.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I wont buy automatics... manual trannies ONLY for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive