Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 11:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

WHenever I decellerate with the car in gear I hear a high pitched whine. It seems to be getting louder, but it is possible that i am just getting more alert to it. I do nto know when it started because I rarely drive without the radio on and cannot remember when I first noticed it. It sounds like gear noise. I had the car in for something else and had the fluid changed recently. Just to be sure I checked to see if there was fluid in the transmission and it is full.

It shifts and handles fine. There is no problem sychronizing the gears, the clutch does not seem worn (I do not have to push the clutch pedal any more or less than in the past). The sound only occurrs duruing decelleration never during accelleration. It only occurs when the transmission is engaged, never when the clutch is pushed in or the trans is in neutral. The sound is louder in lower gears and rarely occurs in 6th gear. It seems pretty clear that the sound is coming from the transmission not the engine.

THe car is a 1995 Camaro z-28 6 speed. It has been very well maintained with all scheduled services performed more or less timely.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? I know nothing about transmissions, I have never seen the inside of one. All I have ever done on any car is replace the clutch and throw out bearing. I swapped out a couple of transmissions in another car, but I did nto open them up just took one out and put in another. It is my understanding that this transmission is sealed. It cannot be opened for repair, you just have to send the whole thing to athe factory if it has a problem (that is really stupid if true).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 11:59 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times
just a thought--you sure it's in the tranny and not rear end? I reallize it is quiet with clutch in, but there'd be no load on the rear gears either. Just seems odd you have no trans issues under acceleration. I'm sure i'm off on this one....

Old 05-22-2009, 12:05 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I have never heard of a sealed transmission, but I'm not much into late models. Sometimes this term is thrown around when it does not have a drain plug. I agree with Ranger here that you ought to check the rear end fluid level as well.

Probably if the trans is going bad, your most practical fix is going to be a junkyard used transmission.

Does it make the same noise in all 6 gears? Does the noise change when it's hot or cold out?

I know what you mean on car noises, is it a new noise? Or am I just paying more attention all of a sudden?

You could check transmission and engine mounts, it's just possible that under reverse torque something is moving just enough to create metal-on-metal contact (as opposed to the rubber bushings in the engine/trans mounts) and this can definitely cause an increase in perceived noise in the cab.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
HMM my truck whines but it has the ZF 5 speed but my car with the T-56 does not whine like that but replacing the T-56 is not cheap to replace and getting a used tranny out the wreckers is hit and miss..what year did you pull it from 94-97 they ran the LT1 but they went to the ls1 after that and upgraded the tranny

Old 05-22-2009, 09:47 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,755 times
I suspect maybe the throwout bearing or pilot bushing. I'm not going to claim to be a trans expert, but the fact that the noise changes or goes away when you push in the clutch points me that way. The trans is still under "reverse load" when coasting with the clutch in, as is the rear end.

On the other hand, how many miles are on this car? It could be that the gears are getting worn and just meshing differently than they used to.

I don't think I believe that this trans is not serviceable. Regardless, a used trans would be the less expensive repair if it does get to that point.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:55 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
Every manual transmission car I've ever driven (dozens) had some gear whine when I was engine braking at low speed. It's a normal thing, and yes, it is much more noticeable in lower gears. If it seems abnormally loud then by all means research the cause, but it's as normal as that 'grunch' when you shift into reverse without double-clutching, because the gear is straight-cut.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Every manual transmission car I've ever driven (dozens) had some gear whine when I was engine braking at low speed. It's a normal thing, and yes, it is much more noticeable in lower gears. If it seems abnormally loud then by all means research the cause, but it's as normal as that 'grunch' when you shift into reverse without double-clutching, because the gear is straight-cut.
i never had my revese "grunch" when i engage it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive