Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some opinions on a 2007/2008 Chevy Impala LTZ for a friend of mine who has just graduated college. He's a great guy but really doesn't know jack about cars so I told him I'd do a little research. I've read a couple reviews on the new generation Impala and it sounds promising but haven't seriously looked at one myself. His main specs are:

Under $20K
4 Doors
Inexpensive to maintain
Low miles (under 30K preferably)
Less than 3 years old
Midsize to large
A little luxury (i.e. leather seats, nice looking interior, etc)
MUST HAVE A SUNROOF (take advantage of the Arizona sunshine)

At first I told him he almost had a 0% chance of finding such a car but I looked around a little bit and the new Impala's caught my eye so after a little research it seemed almost like a perfect fit for him. He doesn't care about sporty styling or a big engine, he just wants something comfortable and inexpensive.

Any opinions on a new Impala or alternatives? For the price I don't think you can beat it but again, I haven't driven one for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
Not really a college-guy type of car, but fitting your specs is a Merc Grand Marquis.
In the right color combinations it can be a very cool ride, with luxury and decent mpg too, and they're available with sunroofs......

Looked for good photos online and came up with this one (no, I'm not selling it and don't know whoever is -- just good representative photos)

eBay Motors: Mercury : Grand Marquis (item 140248346091 end time Jul-19-08 21:01:46 PDT)

Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
He doesn't care about sporty styling or a big engine, he just wants something comfortable and inexpensive
Well then, sounds like he'll enjoy the yawn-me-to-death Impala. I cant think of a more bland sedan on earth.

He should look at the Accord 4 cylinder, its eons better than the Impala.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well then, sounds like he'll enjoy the yawn-me-to-death Impala. I cant think of a more bland sedan on earth.

He should look at the Accord 4 cylinder, its eons better than the Impala.

I disagree. To me the Accord is bland and the constant buzzing and vibrating from the 4cyl would drive me crazy. I have driven several of them, so I know.

I think the Impala is a nice car myself, especially the LTZ version. The Impala can also blow the doors off of the Accord too.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:21 AM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
What Steve-o said. The current Impala is targeted squarely to non-car-guys that need a car as an appliance and for some reason want to buy domestic. It makes a Toyota Camry feel like a "real" M3 in comparison.

I drove one as a rental car in Palo Alto last summer, it got me around faster than I could walk, and was more convenient than taking the bus. A/C is good, one of the few things the General does better than their competition.

But, good grief, for a guy right out of college? What does he want with a 4-door sled like this? If he can drive a stick, tell him to go get a Miata, *really* take advantage of the AZ sunshine. If he just has to have a tin-top, how about a Corolla? Better MPG than the Impala, probably as fast or faster, "legendary Toyota build quality", what's not to like?

A single guy right out of college needs 4 doors like a fish needs a bicycle!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:34 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I disagree. To me the Accord is bland and the constant buzzing and vibrating from the 4cyl would drive me crazy. I have driven several of them, so I know.

I think the Impala is a nice car myself, especially the LTZ version. The Impala can also blow the doors off of the Accord too.
Buzzing and vibrating? Under acceleration, just a slight hind. At cruising speeds? Better MPG, better reliability, quieter and better resale value than the Impala.

And if you want to talk about blowing doors off, Ill put a V6 Accord into the equation and that Impala will get smoked. Heck, even the V6 Accord vs the Impala SS would put up a fight. Weak!

Seriously, anyone that picks an Impala over an Accord really has no clue about the automotive world and the gems that reside in it.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:41 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Quote:
But, good grief, for a guy right out of college? What does he want with a 4-door sled like this? If he can drive a stick, tell him to go get a Miata, *really* take advantage of the AZ sunshine. If he just has to have a tin-top, how about a Corolla? Better MPG than the Impala, probably as fast or faster, "legendary Toyota build quality", what's not to like?

A single guy right out of college needs 4 doors like a fish needs a bicycle!
He's just not a car guy, he thinks of a car as a means of transportation and not much else. He already have a job an an accountant at a very large firm in Phoenix and he's already making very good money for someone straight out of college and could probably buy something more sporty like a BMW 3-Series but he just doesn't think that way. He doesn't want a small car so we nixed out the Corolla.

I think Saturday we're going to look which I always enjoy doing even if it is just for an Impala. He's a great guy, very nice, funny, but some people think of cars as nothing more than a way to get around town.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,176,605 times
I would look at the 3.5 Impalas. I believe the LTZ is a 3.9 which will get lesser MPGs than the 3.5. IMO the 3.5 has plenty of power for the typical driver. I believe it's a flex fueler too, which adds some flexibility.

Accords are good cars, so are Impalas. I have owned both. For my anatomy, the Accord (and all Honda) seats cannot be beat. To others, they're hard as a wooden park bench and decidedly uncomfortable.

I would discount the suggestions by those who have an obvious bias for one make. [GM sux! Honda sux! etc. is IMO adolescent stuff and not relevant.]
That is emotion taking hold, and your friend sounds like he's ruled more by the rational side.

As for a single guy not needing four doors...that's a stereotype that is way way old. Coupes are not sporty, they are inconvenient for people and packages.
I call it "An Inconvenient Coupe."
I've always driven four-doors with the exception of my first two door hardtop. Two doors good, four doors better.

He might want to look at a Buick LaCross too, a Mercury Sable, or a KIA Optima. If the driving experience doesn't mean much, the inside layout and seat comfort are things that will prove important in the long run.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:26 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I disagree, too. A Mercury Grand Marquis would be a good choice.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:56 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,870,070 times
An Impala would strike me as being a little too frumpy for someone like him. Grand Marquis? Sure, it has the highest average age of owners of new cars. Its' sibling, the Ford Crown Victoria, is only sold to fleet buyers now(gee, i wonder why).

Ford does offer the Fusion and Milan(Mercury) though. A loaded(V6,s/roof,leather,etc.) used '07 could be had for <20K. They're essentially a more conservative version of the Mazda 6 at a slightly lower price.

The Grand Prix is a variation of the Impala. I'd bypass it. Ditto for the G6. Prior ownership experience with Pontiac has left me unwilling to recommend it.

A used 4-cyl. Altima SL could also be an option. Surprising performance from a 4-cyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive