Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:47 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What Steve-o said. The current Impala is targeted squarely to non-car-guys that need a car as an appliance and for some reason want to buy domestic. It makes a Toyota Camry feel like a "real" M3 in comparison.

I drove one as a rental car in Palo Alto last summer, it got me around faster than I could walk, and was more convenient than taking the bus. A/C is good, one of the few things the General does better than their competition.

But, good grief, for a guy right out of college? What does he want with a 4-door sled like this? If he can drive a stick, tell him to go get a Miata, *really* take advantage of the AZ sunshine. If he just has to have a tin-top, how about a Corolla? Better MPG than the Impala, probably as fast or faster, "legendary Toyota build quality", what's not to like?

A single guy right out of college needs 4 doors like a fish needs a bicycle!
i am an American muscle car guy and i agree with Steve-o on this one. i also agree with M3 Mitch's assessment of the Impala/Monte Carlo. a celebration of mediocrety.

btw, rather bizzare specifications your friend is looking for. sounds like he's saying "im looking for something really bland, with mediocre performance and mediocre gas mileage, and with really bad options, like a sunroof so i can always have the Arizona sun beating down on me through glass during the day, and have a very poor substitute for a drop top at night or when the weather permits. something like a small hole cut in the roof."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
really bad options, like a sunroof so i can always have the Arizona sun beating down on me through glass during the day, and have a very poor substitute for a drop top at night or when the weather permits. something like a small hole cut in the roof."
That's why they have a sunshade that you can close.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:48 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
btw, rather bizzare specifications your friend is looking for. sounds like he's saying "im looking for something really bland, with mediocre performance and mediocre gas mileage, and with really bad options, like a sunroof so i can always have the Arizona sun beating down on me through glass during the day, and have a very poor substitute for a drop top at night or when the weather permits. something like a small hole cut in the roof."
How are his specs "bizarre":

Sedan
Low Miles
Less than 3 years old
Under $20K
Has sunroof

Those are very common specifications (possibly with exception of sunroof). That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard that his specs are "bizzare"! And TONS of vehicles down here have sunroofs, I have one in my Yukon and a great deal of my friends also have them in their vehicles. It's a very popular option down here, a Convertible isn't logical for most drivers to drive everyday; I don't know of any 4-door factory convertibles do you? You've confused me, you must not get out much.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How are his specs "bizarre":

Sedan
Low Miles
Less than 3 years old
Under $20K
Has sunroof

Those are very common specifications (possibly with exception of sunroof). That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard that his specs are "bizzare"! And TONS of vehicles down here have sunroofs, I have one in my Yukon and a great deal of my friends also have them in their vehicles. It's a very popular option down here, a Convertible isn't logical for most drivers to drive everyday; I don't know of any 4-door factory convertibles do you? You've confused me, you must not get out much.
well, first of all let me just say i have never understood why anyone would want a sunroof. just seems like such a bad idea. it just seems like the worst possible substitute for a drop top or even a T-top. especially the ones that just prop open about 3 inches in the rear. i just cant imagine why anyone would say "i'm looking for something with a sun roof".

and i say "bizzare" because it struck me as odd that someone would be looking for an Impala or Monte Carlo. a grandios term, granted, but the point being, i just always figured that people ended up getting late model Monte Carlos and Impalas, not setting out to get them.

aaaaaaaand, right - i dont get out much. well played.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
well, first of all let me just say i have never understood why anyone would want a sunroof. just seems like such a bad idea. it just seems like the worst possible substitute for a drop top or even a T-top. especially the ones that just prop open about 3 inches in the rear. i just cant imagine why anyone would say "i'm looking for something with a sun roof".
A 4-door car is more practical than a 2-door and there AREN'T factory built 4-door convertibles. I love to open my sunroof up on a nice day and let the light brighten up the car, it's a nice feature. I can't believe you haven't heard of people wanting sunroof's on their vehicles to take advantge of this...odd.

Quote:
and i say "bizzare" because it struck me as odd that someone would be looking for an Impala or Monte Carlo. a grandios term, granted, but the point being, i just always figured that people ended up getting late model Monte Carlos and Impalas, not setting out to get them.
Have you seen the newer Impala's? They're every bit as nice as the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry in my opinion.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I think whatt you miss is that the vast majority don't want any of your cars. They are for the people that truely value cars as more than tranportation.I have a friend and he is buiding his second 51 mercury and has several others including a roadster. He also has a 74 impala SS. When I asked why the impala he said it only had sentimental value as it was his grandfathers last car ;otherwsie he had little interest in muscles cars. Different strokes for different folks in seems. I have litltle interest in any of his cars really especially considering the money he has in them.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,861 times
Your friend is screaming for a 07 Civic Sedan...but it might lack the luxury feel inside. Other than that those Grand Marquis are nice, but more on gas. Don't bother with a Corolla, Wimpala...etc. Mazda makes an okay sedan.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
did i not find the information that the OP was looking for - that they do in fact make 4-door Impalas with sun roofs? and i go ahead and share a part of myself - and get nothing but a bunch of negativity?
Uh....I already knew that dude and you're the one who needs to chill out.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I would lease an American car for 24,000 miles, there is no way in hades I would buy one. After 100,000 miles they self destruction, while Toyota's and Honda's last to over 300,000

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
I can't believe the guy who says no one wants sunroofs. Right! I think that is one of the most common add ons to a new vehicle.

I personally love sunroofs, I had them on both my Nissan Maximas and my Toyota 4runners as well as Pontiac Grand Prix. I had Nissan 300zx that had t-tops. They were cool but I still like the sunroof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive