Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,913,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Sorry I never said not to answer the notice to appear.As to our founding farthers being clairvointts? Well it does state freedom to travel un-incombered ( and Justice TOLMAN of Washington State, ruled in favor of that very issue . Documented fact. So what can i say keep just keep paying you're fines the cops and the courts need someone to support them . But that doesn't include me. You do know that you do have the right to plead "not guilty" for that fact the courts have a video where the judge incourages you to do just that , I wonder why ? could constitutional rights have any thing to do with it? will have to ask a lawyer!

Traveling unencumbered doesn't mean you can travel in any manner you see fit. Vehicle registrations are required if you want to drive a vehicle in all of the states. THAT is not an encumbrance to travel, that is a requirement to owning and driving a vehicle. You can still travel freely with out your own vehicle if you chose to. Ride a horse like our forefathers, walk, bike, public transportation, etc. If somebody wants the privilege and convenience of private travel with an auto, then you should follow the rules laid out to do so. If you are going to use such a stretch of that phrase "travel unencumbered", Paying for gas, oil, car payments, insurance, etc... might be considered an encumbrance as well should we get out of those payments as well?

As for the not guilty plead I know about that as well. YOU didn't include it with your statement so neither did I. Not Guilty only works if you truly are not guilty, not if you just want to stall paying a fine that is deserved under current laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,909,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Not that this is advised , but couldn't the driver have lied and said the registration payment is in the mail and he's waiting for the tag to get mailed to him?

In California you're allowed to drive for a short period after the registration expires to account for mailed-in renewals (I think...).
Two problems with that. With the computers now installed in police cars, they can instantly see if your telling the truth, and secondly, had you read my earlier post in this thread, I got a ticket with the new tags in the glove compartment, which I hadn't yet put on. The cop didn't care to hear my excuse, they belong on the plate, not the glove compartment..! That was in So Calif.
Since then I have purchased the tags as soon as I'm notified, and put them on the day they arrive in the mail.
I do my registrations on line, and receive them incredibly quick, like four days after I purchase them, so no, waiting for the mail to arrive is no excuse when DVM notifies you a couple of months ahead of time. If you couldn't find time to buy the tags in two months, the mail excuse won't get you very far.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,909,273 times
Quote:
**** Sorry that you find no need to excersise you constitutional rights , thats exactly what they ( the cops and the courts are counting on ) will be more than happy to provide anyone that doughts this does work with copy's of the actual court documents. other wise just keep msending the courts and the cops a little money each month and stop complaining or making excuses. the laws are there for you if you as i keep saying GET EDUCATED before they take all of are Rights away because WE don't HAVE THE TIME TO DO ANYTHING BUT b%*%$#%$. Excuse me ignorance or fact?
I believe what the cops and the courts are counting on, is everyone obeying the laws in the first place, so none of this mumbo jumbo is neccessary. If one doesn't break the law, one has nothing to worry about. If one doesn't follow the rules, they deserve what they get.
I haven't had a traffic ticket in many years, and therefore have not needed to fight with the court system. Funny how that works....

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,753,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I believe what the cops and the courts are counting on, is everyone obeying the laws in the first place, so none of this mumbo jumbo is neccessary. If one doesn't break the law, one has nothing to worry about. If one doesn't follow the rules, they deserve what they get.
I haven't had a traffic ticket in many years, and therefore have not needed to fight with the court system. Funny how that works....
Thank you, Donn . . . BEAUTIFULLY STATED.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry again BUT it is not a stall tactic it is you're Right as i said and it is given as a direction (instruction by a judge in the courts of the state of california. ) and as to the PRIVILEDGE of traveling the public highways( RESPECTFULLY ) everyone really needs to get EDUCATED to the fraud that all our DMV are doing to us because it is a RIGHT to travel and Justice Tolman as I said explains it very well. The problem is that most of us are to lazy to try and learn what our rights really are . it's that simple.I personally do not have a drivers license nor do i have registration plates on my RV . and I travel this country with out being locked up. Yes I am stopped , questioned , and let go with the statement drive saftly have a good day!

Come on up to either Michigan or Maine the two states I know most about. BOTH of them will impound your vehicle if you are driving with no license and registration. You will not get a "drive safe and have a nice day" answer in either place. No drivers license = fine at best, arrested if attitude pulled or repeat offender which it sounds like you are.. I call BS to this part of your statement.

I never said we didn't have the right to unencumbered travel, I said we don't have the guaranteed right to do so in an automobile. You keep touting Tolman and his decision. Post a link to this decision if you could, I can't find it anyplace after looking. Was it a decision, or a descent?

Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 PM

9,472 posts, read 11,228,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nope, no grace period. The expiration date means exactly what it says, not "this date plus a grace period." Get it registered and go to court, and the judge might dismiss it. Otherwise, you're guaranteed to get stuck paying it.

The reason the driver gets the ticket in this particular case and not the owner is because it's not illegal to not register a car, so the owner is not necessarily violating the law. However, it is illegal to operate an unregistered car on public roads. Therefore it is the driver, and not necessarily the owner, who is engaged in the per se unlawful conduct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My son was drving my car and got a ticket for
a registration that expired on 6/15/08 . I usually am good about
that stuff but this was on my desk and got overlooked.
From 6/15 to 7/10 seems he could have warned him.

Why doesn't the owner get the ticket instead of the driver.
Drover explains things pretty well.

The grace period is how long you can drive with an expired registration before a cop pulls you over.

Old 07-12-2008, 07:28 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,036,074 times
let me ask this...

If you drove a friends car and got a ticket for the registration being expired would you feel like it was your fault or the owners??

Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,313,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My son was drving my car and got a ticket for
a registration that expired on 6/15/08 . I usually am good about
that stuff but this was on my desk and got overlooked.
From 6/15 to 7/10 seems he could have warned him.

Why doesn't the owner get the ticket instead of the driver.
The driver is legally responsible for the lawful operation of the vehicle.

If the registration expired, then this sounds like a proper citation.

I would suggest making sure that you get the registration in proper order and then appear in court with your Son - explain the situation to the court, show that the registration has been taken care of.

I would not be surprised to see the court dismiss the cite

Good luck

Old 07-13-2008, 01:01 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,753,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The driver is legally responsible for the lawful operation of the vehicle.

If the registration expired, then this sounds like a proper citation.

I would suggest making sure that you get the registration in proper order and then appear in court with your Son - explain the situation to the court, show that the registration has been taken care of.

I would not be surprised to see the court dismiss the cite

Good luck
As usual, Greatday . . . GREAT ADVICE!

Old 07-13-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Just as I though ,You look at the sight but don't take the time to read it all ,
I did read it all, In fact I read about 8 full websites that all sound like a Jim Jones cult chant. I found them last night and spent a fair amount of time reading them and looking up the cases mentioned. All basically the same, and all spouting cases that are 60-80 years old, and NONE of them at the Federal level. Out of 50 states there are only a small handful that have even looked at this issue according to the websites I found when I looked up Judge Tolmond. Don't jump to conclusions when it comes to what I might or might not read because it doesn't change my mind. The cases and arguments didn't have enough solid proof and sounded like they were grasping at straws to support their stand.

I think we can both agree that we are never going to resolve this on a forum setting, so I am going to drop it right here and not respond anymore because you fail to make a strong enough argument to support your case and frankly I get tired of trying to decipher your spelling and grammar to see what you mean. I found the links you were talking about and if well laid out websites cannot provide a solid backing for their claims, I know I am not going to see it here either.

No more comments from me I promise not to drag this foolishness out further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive