Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 11:57 AM

315 posts, read 1,624,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny Foofoo View Post
Someone told me that a midlife crisis car was any kind of convertible in red. is that true or a myth ?
I think the "midlife crisis" label is a myth. Almost all men, young and old, would like to have a sports car. It just takes most guys until their fourties or fifties to get to a point where they can afford one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
I always wonder what people like Dd714 mean when they call a car a "Chick Car." My experience tells me that this guy couldn't drive a BMW Z3 M Version anywhere near what the car is capable of doing. Which begs the question, If you can't handle driving what you call a chick car anywhere near its limits, are you much of a man?

The C5 Vette is an incredible car that is bought predominatley by people who only know how to drive fast in a straight line. When I get behind one on a country road they are always breaking IN the turn and are in my way. Then they pull ahead on a straight stretch only to have me on their bumper at the next turn.

The M3? Awesome car, but maintenence will kill you. I have 2 BMW's and I can tell you the Z3 is much cheaper to maintain since it pre-dates all the electronic stuff that always is breaking/causing problems on the other one.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:23 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
I thought those were only the guys with Porsches. What car is for the guys with the big ones?
Nope. It's also Corvettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Nice username by the way.
Why thank you, hope that's not supposed to be an insult.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:45 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I always wonder what people like Dd714 mean when they call a car a "Chick Car." My experience tells me that this guy couldn't drive a BMW Z3 M Version anywhere near what the car is capable of doing. Which begs the question, If you can't handle driving what you call a chick car anywhere near its limits, are you much of a man?

The C5 Vette is an incredible car that is bought predominatley by people who only know how to drive fast in a straight line. When I get behind one on a country road they are always breaking IN the turn and are in my way. Then they pull ahead on a straight stretch only to have me on their bumper at the next turn.

The M3? Awesome car, but maintenence will kill you. I have 2 BMW's and I can tell you the Z3 is much cheaper to maintain since it pre-dates all the electronic stuff that always is breaking/causing problems on the other one.

Oh lighten up. M3 - an impressive car but a little bit on the dull styling side. Z3 - yup it's a chick car, no doubt about it, totally 100% girlie car. Only for gurly-men. Now - it's an impressive car, I don't doubt it's cornering abilities and the speed in the high end models. The problem is when it was introduced it had a base engine option, 4 cylinder I think, that was slower than a Miata (a serious chick car). It never got over that. That's why BMW introduced the Z4.

Don't beleive me? Here it is from Hennie Chung, Z4 manager for BMW North America:

"Towards the end (of the Z3's product cycle), we had the stigma of being a `girlie car,' or a `chick car,' which in Europe is sometimes called a `hairdresser's' car, you will notice a more male overtone'' for the Z4, in both the product and its marketing, she said at a press introduction here.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:57 PM

315 posts, read 1,624,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I always wonder what people like Dd714 mean when they call a car a "Chick Car."
I suspect you already know the answer to this and Dd714 laid it out pretty well. With that said, a common public perception is that most people driving Z3s and Miatas are suburban housewives. It's just a stereotype like "most Corvettes are owned by older men". Of course, young men could and do drive any of these cars. But like most stereotypes, there is a hint of truth. I have known 4 people that owned Z3/Z4s and all of them were women that wanted "cute" convertibles. That by no means represents conclusive, scientific evidence. However, it certainly perpetuates the stereotype.

The ONLY safe place to drive any car to its limits is the racetrack. Few people would or should ever venture onto a track with a Z3 or Miata.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:05 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
I always thought that a young woman was the answer to the midlife crises.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:36 PM

969 posts, read 2,819,613 times
I don't see a car as having a penis or a vagina. I like driving cars that handle well and are fast. It really doesn't matter to me if most of the other owners of a particular car are men or women. My wife likes the Z3 because it is a good looking convertible, I like it because it is a blast to drive.

Here's a link to see a girlie car in action:
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDdKCA5ttPM&feature=related (broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:04 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
After months of searching, I had a nice 1980 Corvette in my sights about two years ago as my pre-mid life mobile. Well, I didn't pull the trigger fast enough. That one got away and the DW spent my fund (or "OUR" fund as I learned) on one of those new Mustangs. Now we have a pony in the garage where my shark is supposed to be. That just wasn't the plan...

Old 07-04-2008, 08:48 AM

139 posts, read 476,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Aren't Corvettes cars for guys with little........ah never mind.

Everything you'll want to know about a corvette can be found there. They even have a for sale section.

I have a mag red covertible 2000 C5. I added about 200 more HP.

Yes I have a small peeps, but I love driving that car. Makes me feel like a kids again...........with a small peeps lolol

Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Have you considered a Trans Am? You can occasionally find one with very low miles on it and like new condition.

eBay Motors: Pontiac : Trans Am (item 130233768814 end time Jul-05-08 07:18:46 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___RAM-AIR-WS6-T-TOPS-18500-ORIGINAL-MILES-SUPER-FAST_W0QQitemZ130233768814QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20Truck sQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130233768814&_t rksid=p3756.m14.l1308 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive