Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

We went looking for a vette today,didn't really find anything in my price range or model(want a 1997-2004)...went up to the Jaguar dealer to take a look,saw a BMW that was nice enough so stopped and took a look.

Salesman came out,talked a little and mentioned I wanted a vette,he siad we just had one traded in,it is still being cleaned up.

1998 C5,white(not my favorite color),black leather interior,six speed,glass roof,34,000 miles and later model wheels.

Took it for a long test drive,it has a lot of road noise but drives like a new car really.

Asking $21990....going back in the morning to see what can be done.
Interesting post, Oz in SC

Buying a Corvette should not involve a "second choice" even if it is only the color especially over a few bucks. As others have posted, hold out for your first choice because it may very well be with you for a long long time because once you become "hooked" it may very well become a "family member".

Have you considered doing a little research on the Corvette Forum? I am a very proud owner of a '05 Chevy SSR and have learned more than I ever thought possible from the SSR Forum. Not to mention . . . LOTS OF FRIENDS.

by the way, have you considered an SSR?

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 07:41 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,799,693 times
Aren't Corvettes cars for guys with little........ah never mind.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM

969 posts, read 2,823,635 times
What about a BMW Z3 Roadster?? If you get one with the 3.0 liter engine, or the "M" version you will be close enough in performance to the Vette that the better driver in either would win a race up to about 80 MPH. Beyond that the Vette will offer more. The Z3 is alot of fun to drive and would be much more agile than the Vette. Plus, everybody will think you are rich for spending $15,000 on it just because they look so good and are BMW's. I have one, and other than wearing through summer tires every 6000 miles, it has been trouble-free.

If a sub 6 second run from 0-60 isn't that important to you, the Z3's with the smaller 6 cylinders or even the 4 bangers can be downright cheap! (PS-THEY GET GOOD MPG's TOO.)

Old 07-01-2008, 08:20 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,896,235 times
I am 6'2'',will I fit in one???

I looked at some M3's but maintenence is a killer from what I read.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 PM

355 posts, read 2,705,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Aren't Corvettes cars for guys with little........ah never mind.
I thought those were only the guys with Porsches. What car is for the guys with the big ones? Nice username by the way.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:48 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,769 posts, read 58,209,379 times
Quote:
Well....I think our whole future is going to be one big midlife crisis...

We are selling everything here and in NC and buying a small cattle ranch if it all works out.Even plan to take the MIL along with us.

See how the whole vette thing makes no sense????
I did that once... (bought the farm...)

I do have a 'mid-life' friend with one of the special edition GT-40's. It's pretty impressive, and with mods he's into it over $240k. It works out to $1000 per mph, much cheaper than a fighter plane, especially when you take it out for a spin. My friends with Corvettes don't really seem to get into the 'performance' driving thing, they just putt around on street trips. I'm glad I have switchbacks and mountain roads to drive everyday, but it is tough on tires A few weekends / yr on the track can get me through for a spell, but I would have a tough time having a performance car and not using it as such.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,931,340 times
You get great deals on those 5th generation corvettes now. You can't compare it to other sports cars on the market like the BMW roadster's or anything. Those border on chick cars, they aren't in the same class or market comparison. You don't want a chick car, man. Vette - It's just in a class by itself almost - mix of sports and muscle car.

Also, like someone said, visit the corvette forum for a wealth of information and clubs, drives, get togethers, etc.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 AM

352 posts, read 483,209 times
Someone told me that a midlife crisis car was any kind of convertible in red. is that true or a myth ?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:48 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,896,235 times
Well hopefully my midlife will last a few more years and I can wait a little while.

I pretty much think it will be a corvette,I am a naturalised American and that might have some bearing on the decision too.

I looked at BMW M3'3 and while quite powerful are a little bland,as well as VERY expensive when it somes to maintenence.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:53 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times
Quote:
I am 6'2'',will I fit in one???

I looked at some M3's but maintenence is a killer from what I read.
Being 6'2" as well, Oz in SC . . . and having the same problem mainly with adequate room down by the pedals for my big feet (size 13's) is primarily why I chose the SSR over the Corvette. The more upright seating position is a little more comfortable for me as well.

KUDOS for for strong BUY AMERICAN stand and you are absolutely correct . . . maintenance and even the most routine repairs for an older European Vehicle can become very expensive and time consuming (searching and waiting for parts, etc).

Once again, go for your first choice an ENJOY! You won't be sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive