Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:44 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,886,157 times

Advertisements

Nope, at least 20 mph over the limit is normal. That's why I love holiday weekends. The State police are crawling all over I-41 today and pulling people over for 12+ over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 03:13 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,687,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here, I swear people TRY to NOT drive the speed limit. Most people take the Im-going-to-jail-if-I-get-caught-at-this-speed approach, yet there are some that could literally ride a bicycle faster than they drive their cars.

The worst incident I can remember? I was driving on I-88 westbound from Naperville and was passed ON THE SHOULDER of the road by about 10 sportbikes easily doing 120-150 mph WHILE DOING WHEELIES.
Have you ever been on I55 between Springfield and Chicago when our reps are trying to get back home. If you are in a hurry get behind a high powered Senator and follow him. Police seem to disappear.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM

845 posts, read 2,746,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I heard in Portland and Seattle most of the people there drive the speed limit and below and are courteous to the point where it's annoying; "no after you, no no after you" type stuff.
I dont know about Seattle, but people in Portland definitely drive slow. It wouldnt even annoy me so much if they were going the speed limit but here a lot of drivers go under the speed limit. And they will slow down or stop for anybody who wants to cross the street regardless of the right of way, even if they are not making an attempt to cross the street. If somebody is in a crosswalk then you should stop, but dont stop for everyone who wants to jaywalk across the median. The pedestrians here have been trained to not look both ways when they are crossing the street, the jaywalking here is out of control.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Have you ever been on I55 between Springfield and Chicago when our reps are trying to get back home. If you are in a hurry get behind a high powered Senator and follow him. Police seem to disappear.
Never had the luxury of doing that. I usually will jump into a pack of speeding cars and find myself to the middle of the line, as to not be so easy to get picked off by the ISP. Those that trail in the back or spearhead the speeding cluster of cars tend to be easier targets.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,646,865 times
Around here there's two speeds: insanely fast and annoyingly slow.

I'd say the breakdown is about 90% of the former, 8% the latter. 2% drive the right way.

ksgator - those jaywalkers might be annoying, but don't pedestrians still have the right-of-way in any situation?

sav858 -
Quote:
This morning on the way to work I was doing 88mph but so was everyone else in my lane traveling about one or two car lengths away from each other. If you drive under 80mph in the fast lane here you will intentionally get cut off. But the drivers here know how to drive and I like it cuz I got a lead foot too.
If the drivers knew how to drive they wouldn't be only one or two car lengths away from each other at that speed. I think they're just watching too much NASCAR. That's what leads to those nifty multi-car pile-ups where everyone moans "Oh, WHY, WHY did this HAPPEN"...

Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,687,191 times
They're not speeding, they're qualifying.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:36 PM

5,642 posts, read 24,989,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
I dont know about Seattle, but people in Portland definitely drive slow. It wouldnt even annoy me so much if they were going the speed limit but here a lot of drivers go under the speed limit.
True... I came from Texas where people drive very fast so driving in the PNW is a big change. In Oregon they are so determined to go the speed limit it is common for drivers to block someone trying to go fast. Not a good situation.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
around here...it'd be nice if they could just get TO the limit, never mind going OVER...

that's why I avoid driving...she can do it, I'd rather not.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,373,866 times
Chicagoland - h*ll NO. Rare to see state police on the tollways and highways either, unless it is a holiday weekend, then watch out.
Drivers speed on the streets too. And then these same idiots complain about the fuel economy in their cars. Lighten up on that pedal then! duh...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 AM

681 posts, read 2,880,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Do people in your area drive the speed limit?

I'm not talking about 5 mph over. I'm talking about driving exactly around speed limit or under. Is it odd when someone goes past the speed limit?

Do people in your area drive past the speed limit only on highways, but stay at or below the limit on the normal road? Vice-versa?
In NW PA, where I swear like 50% of the population is 55 years old or older, YES people drive the speed limit, or under. This area of PA is one huge "retirement community".

I have found that people are most likely to drive slowly when I am on my way to a gig... or any other engagement which requires me to arrive at a specific destination by a specific time.

On top of that, logging seems to be fairly popular around here, and I have yet to find a log truck with an engine powerful enough to maintain speed on an uphill grade.

Most of my gigs are about 35 miles away from my house... and I average passing 3 cars on the way to such a gig. (Bear in mind, that means that I probably should've passed at least 6 cars, but there weren't enough passing zones or there were always cars coming in the opposite direction when I did have a passing zone.)

Pennsylvania is FULL of slow-moving drivers... the interstates usually move along well enough, but in most instances, if you're going 75mph you are a speeding bullet and at risk for being popped by the troopers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive