Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 12:33 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,071,602 times

Advertisements

Why the EVs still shaped like ICEs on the outside?

Meaning, generally look exactly like ICE cars. There is the engine compartment in the front. Seat, and windshield behind it. But why? There is not more chemical combustion engine. Is it for aerodynamics? In that case, why not design like Formula one car with more seating?

Or what about a "cab over" design like the first generation Chevy Sportvan. The van Scooby Doo drove, but only in a car format instead of van.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 12:41 AM

4,621 posts, read 2,252,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why the EVs still shaped like ICEs on the outside?

Meaning, generally look exactly like ICE cars. There is the engine compartment in the front. Seat, and windshield behind it. But why? There is not more chemical combustion engine. Is it for aerodynamics? In that case, why not design like Formula one car with more seating?

Or what about a "cab over" design like the first generation Chevy Sportvan. The van Scooby Doo drove, but only in a car format instead of van.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_over
I figure it's because people want the car to look more car like.

I have driven the NQR trucks and I liked the visibility but I tell you I would not want to be in that vehicle if something hit the front end of it.

So it might actually be for crash safety so that they can pass and have enough crumple zones so that the car is considered safe.

They don't make friends like that anymore they have hoods extending out in the front.

Old 11-20-2021, 03:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,304,510 times
Safety mainly I would guess, maybe mpg to a lesser extent. With a cab over/bus design there is far less front crumple zone.

Old 11-20-2021, 06:45 AM

12,673 posts, read 9,838,475 times
There are definitely some unconventional designs coming out, but a lot of people don't like them, just look at all the comments here. So a big reason not to go out on a limb with design/styling is that buyers may shun them.

Canoo Van:

Canoo Pickup:

Tesla Pickup:

Old 11-20-2021, 07:51 AM

3,720 posts, read 4,888,868 times
I would say safety, aerodynamics and looks. C'mon, the microbus, Scooby Doo van, cab over pick ups and those hidious pictures posted above are pretty much the ugliest designs anyone can come up with. Hell if I'd ever buy one! But then again I have no desire for electric either!

Old 11-20-2021, 08:11 AM

37,309 posts, read 39,719,505 times
I would love a good microbus or delica with a cabover design or a nice kei van, and there's almost certainly a way to make them work, but it's uncertain if they'd sell in the US.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:10 PM

10,926 posts, read 4,676,199 times
sure, give me another reason not to have one....if I wanted a cabover, I woulda kept the ole K100

Old 11-20-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There are definitely some unconventional designs coming out, but a lot of people don't like them, just look at all the comments here. So a big reason not to go out on a limb with design/styling is that buyers may shun them.

Canoo Van:

Canoo Pickup:

Tesla Pickup:
Id buy and drive those

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I would say safety, aerodynamics and looks. C'mon, the microbus, Scooby Doo van, cab over pick ups and those hidious pictures posted above are pretty much the ugliest designs anyone can come up with. Hell if I'd ever buy one! But then again I have no desire for electric either!
If safely, then there is better than traditional car design. Not sure what, but I am sure there is. Plus its such a waste. Is it just a giant airbag they place where the engine would have been?

And if they want more aerodynamics, then there is as well, better designs like a formula one car.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Safety mainly I would guess, maybe mpg to a lesser extent. With a cab over/bus design there is far less front crumple zone.
But without an engine there, is it just hollow for storage? That wont help much either for safety.

Old 11-20-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I figure it's because people want the car to look more car like.

I have driven the NQR trucks and I liked the visibility but I tell you I would not want to be in that vehicle if something hit the front end of it.

So it might actually be for crash safety so that they can pass and have enough crumple zones so that the car is considered safe.

They don't make friends like that anymore they have hoods extending out in the front.
For safety, the engine compartment cannot be the end all be all of design though. They can put in a more sophisticated airbag for instance, and probably wont need all that space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive