Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 01:22 PM

6,591 posts, read 11,296,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm guessing it may be like a parking garage I have to use when I go to a couple of my doctors. People are racing to get a spot and won't give someone else the space or time to back into a spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, it's an overcrowded busy lot with narrow parking spaces on both sides of a tight traffic lane. If you don't whip right into an empty spot as soon as you see one, you'll lose it! Conversely, when you start backing OUT of your spot the traffic is willing to sit there and wait...most likely because they already have dibs on it.
ah - so it's more the people vs. the spots themselves. Got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 01:31 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Old story and do not even know if it is true. A women wating for a car to back out so she can get the space. Some young kid whips into the space a head of her. She rolls down her window and says I was waiting for that spot. The kid says that is what you get for being old and slow. She back up and hits his car. She says to the kid, that is what you get for me being rich.

Old 08-31-2022, 11:13 AM

998 posts, read 1,238,879 times
If I’m parking in my own driveway I’m back in because the driveway has a slight incline and if I park nose first, doors on the older cars won’t stay open.

I back into some (non-home) spots because the front air dam is lower than the height of the exhaust, so less chance of hitting the curb. Also sometimes the front sensors won’t pick up a curb but if you back in (and have rearview camera) you can absolutely see the curb and know when to stop.

Old 09-07-2022, 03:32 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,827,203 times
I prefer to back in, to me it's better, and some jobs require you to back in company vehicles. Also situation depending; pulling in can be equal or more effort than backing in, some of that is probably car position, but still. I always back in unless the parking lot isn't designed for it; like walmart, but I'm gonna need the trunk, anyway.

Old 06-04-2023, 03:59 PM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
My son, in order to be able to park on the high school campus, had to attend a safety program at which he needed a parent present. About the only think that was worthwhile that they taught was the value of back-in parking. When you are doing that you know you are not in conflict with pedestrians. When fronting-in and then backing out you may not be as aware. And that may not end well.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:26 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,744,862 times
So true. Thanks for sharing that, @jbgusa.

My son is now parking by backing in. Once you get used to doing it, it is much safer that way.

Last edited by echo7tango; 06-05-2023 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-05-2023, 09:03 AM

35,105 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
So true. Thanks for sharing that, @jbgusa.

My son is now parking by backing in. Once you get used to doing it, it is much safer that way.
Thanks. I wish my son were doing that.

Old 06-05-2023, 11:05 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
In the era of road rage and overall lack of patience I fail to see how backing in and docking your vehicle in sometimes more than one attempt is "safer", especially in busy shopping center parking lots as the impatient ones whip around you and risk hitting other cars or pedestrians. Think about it, how often does that happen when attempting to parallel park? Without fail some jerk rides up on your rear bumper despite being stopped, in reverse with the light on and blinker flashing. If drivers did the unthinkable of utilizing their rearview and sideview mirrors, backing out would be statistically much safer. Speaking as a safe driver over the past 40+ years not buying the somewhat sudden revelation attached...

Old 06-06-2023, 11:33 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
Maybe it's me, but I find it EASIER (esp with a backup camera) to back straight in the first time vs. pulling in forwards, where I often have to straighten out.

Winner winner. Perfect park every time backing in.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:37 AM

1,421 posts, read 757,622 times
Because my motorcycle doesn’t have a reverse gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive