Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2023, 07:54 AM

8,107 posts, read 4,008,230 times

Advertisements

I recall reading about a manufacturing plant that required all employees to park back-in-first. It was a safety thing, they explained; in the event of a plant evacuation, they thought employees could evacuate the premises more quickly if they were parked that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 04:20 PM

2,493 posts, read 1,580,773 times
We back in to our garage each night. Just prefer it. Not a problem at all once you get used to it.

In a parking lot I prefer to drive through so I don’t have to back out, but I otherwise don’t usually back in other than at home.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:44 PM

8,576 posts, read 4,821,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
"Pull-thru" is my 'go-to' solution, especially when driving a semi truck with triple trailers.

Today I was onboard a Ferry, and watched a guy back (6) long semi- trailers into the ferry, very quickly (one at a time, hook and drop) he had to back around the center section of the ferry, miss all the goofballs trying to position and load their cars, drop the trailer, and go fetch another one. While cars, scooters, and 12 trucks were loading. Pretty amazing, less than 10 min loading the ferry.
Wow, that takes something I may or may not have to pull triples. I was just a “regular” 53’ dry van guy, and I still preferred pull-throughs, even at some of the truck stops where you seemingly had acres of room to back in. To me, it’s worth it even in a four-wheeler, to walk a bit more and park easier with the ability to get out faster as well.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:24 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,772,755 times
The other day I was driving through a parking lot and I was almost hit three times by three different cars backing out of their parking spots!

Three times!!!

This is why backing in is so much safer than pulling in. When leaving your parking space you have excellent visibility. Once one gets the hang of backing in, it becomes second nature. It takes a little practice, that’s all.

It is so much safer backing in.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:35 AM

13,108 posts, read 9,663,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My son, in order to be able to park on the high school campus, had to attend a safety program at which he needed a parent present. About the only think that was worthwhile that they taught was the value of back-in parking. When you are doing that you know you are not in conflict with pedestrians. When fronting-in and then backing out you may not be as aware. And that may not end well.
We have a "lifestyle center" in my town that requires back-in parking.

I'm not so sure it's safer. The only wreck I ever had was in our parking lot at work, and a guy who had backed in darted right into the side of my car as I drove past. He obviously wasn't looking. Maybe in general it's safer for pedestrians but it was certainly not safer in my case.

Also at work, on the very back row of our parking lot, back-in parking was prohibited because the exhaust was killing the landscaping bushes.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:42 AM

13,108 posts, read 9,663,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
We back in to our garage each night. Just prefer it. Not a problem at all once you get used to it.

In a parking lot I prefer to drive through so I don’t have to back out, but I otherwise don’t usually back in other than at home.
That's OK in most cases, but here there are a lot of one-way parking lots here, so if you pull through you'd be going the wrong way unless you do a sharp turn upon exiting (talking about angular parking spots).

Old 06-11-2023, 11:21 AM

10,406 posts, read 6,982,545 times
I was taught by my instructors to back-in.

Yes, it is for evade/escape/flee/attack.

(It was a Secret Service thing.)

Parking wasn't the ONLY thing we did, either....

Oh, we did this on the "now defunct" Riverside Intl Raceway....

Special thanks to Bob Bondurant and Skip Barber.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:08 PM

843 posts, read 574,754 times
I find it a little ridiculous when people back in their large truck, SUV, whatever - and there is a sidewalk adjacent to the back of the parking spot (e.g., such as office buildings and strip malls with sidewalks along the front of the building). This usually causes the rear overhang of the vehicle (the portion behind the back wheels) to block the sidewalk by like a couple of feet. Especially if there are no parking blocks, and they go all the way until their wheels hit the block or edge of curb/sidewalk. Sometimes there will even be signs "DO NOT BACK IN" for this reason (which many will disregard).

Front overhangs are not as long as the rear overhang on almost all vehicles, especially pickups, large SUVs, vans, and larger cars. Backing in is OK but you just have to be aware of being inconsiderate. However, I'll bet many people with long vehicles do it for this exact reason - so they don't stick out as far into the aisle. They purposely overhang the sidewalk without a care.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 3,841,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
I find it a little ridiculous when people back in their large truck, SUV, whatever - and there is a sidewalk adjacent to the back of the parking spot (e.g., such as office buildings and strip malls with sidewalks along the front of the building). This usually causes the rear overhang of the vehicle (the portion behind the back wheels) to block the sidewalk by like a couple of feet. Especially if there are no parking blocks, and they go all the way until their wheels hit the block or edge of curb/sidewalk. Sometimes there will even be signs "DO NOT BACK IN" for this reason (which many will disregard).

Front overhangs are not as long as the rear overhang on almost all vehicles, especially pickups, large SUVs, vans, and larger cars. Backing in is OK but you just have to be aware of being inconsiderate. However, I'll bet many people with long vehicles do it for this exact reason - so they don't stick out as far into the aisle. They purposely overhang the sidewalk without a care.
There's nothing wrong with backing in... but the people who hang over sidewalks are just idiots who think they are the main character.

Old 06-12-2023, 04:03 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post

Actually, the overhang on many vehicles is bad in front too. People block the sidewalk where I live with either end of the car. I use a wheelchair and sometimes there is no accessible route to get to my apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive