Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,783,936 times

Advertisements

I've probably used those plug kits on every set of tires I've owned at some point.

Don't use them if the hole is in a side-wall or too close to a side wall. And they don't work too well if the hole is too big.

But for your typical nail or screw hole? It's a non-issue. Plug it and go on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 11:10 PM

11,126 posts, read 5,626,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Anyone have any bad experiences with these?"
never. my Sienna's right front was plugged by me in 2016.
i have done it several times over the years with other cars/tires
and have had no problems.
A family member's car had a roofing nail go through the tread of a tire. I plugged it with one of those darning needle-like tools and three years later, it was still holding air.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,821 posts, read 58,392,967 times
Really depends on the tire condition / hole / weight of vehicle / service duty.

I have got 10's of thousands of miles out of plugs, but prefer internal radial patches. (when possible)

for lighter cars if find plugs to be OK in a pinch.
I won't risk it on a heavier vehicle, usually avoid using plugs on front tires. (loss of steering control if going flat / running low air pressure).

Old 02-11-2019, 06:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,221,754 times
I have used plugs for years and years with no issues. I live on a gravel road and pick up lots of nails and other crap. Never a bad experience with plugs. I have had tires with over 10 plugs. One thing that helps is to use rubber cement on the plug before putting it in the tire. If a plug goes bad, it will be a slow leak situation and you will have time to find it and re plug it.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,955,691 times
i have plugged tires, and patched them. i much prefer patching as i have never had a patch failure, but i have had plugs fail. that said my failure rate was very small and only ever had one plug fail in a big way when a steel belt cut it up.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,699,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I've probably used those plug kits on every set of tires I've owned at some point.

Don't use them if the hole is in a side-wall or too close to a side wall. And they don't work too well if the hole is too big.

But for your typical nail or screw hole? It's a non-issue. Plug it and go on with your life.
YOU can use larger plugs though. I saw a friend plug a pretty large hole in a trailer tire using a 'DIY plug' it was basically a strip of thick rubber, about twice as thick as regular tire plugs, same process, he coated with rubber cement before inserting, it worked for quite awhile.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:07 AM

15,844 posts, read 20,672,430 times
I've plugged countless tires and continued to drive on them until the tires was worn out. Never had an issue.

I think right now i'm driving on a tire with a plug.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,763,508 times
A tire shop told me plugs were OK for cars. For trucks, they patched instead.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,462,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I'm talking about the tire plug kits now on the market. Some drivers say they are unsafe except for emergencies, while others swear you can drive on a plugged tire from now on. Anyone have any bad experiences with these? I can't see why a properly plugged wouldn't hold air for thousands of miles.
Several tire companies will honor their warranties and speed ratings with up to 1 plug in them. Upon placement of a second plug, it is expected to be replaced. Since mileage is a metric used to determine if a tire is within warranty, it would make sense that 1 plug does not shorten the life of a tire, yet several may.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:26 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,418,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contee View Post
Plugged tire: just a temporary fix; safe to drive for only a short time.
Not true.

I have been driving around on tires with plugs since the late 70s. I am sure I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on such tires. On occasion I have had them start leaking again. Other than that, no issues whatsoever.

I don't do the job myself (though I have a couple times, just to learn) because it's kind of a pain, but I could and I certainly wouldn't be afraid to.

But, I am an old fart. I know how to change a tire, jumpstart a car, unclog a toilet, do long division, write a proper letter, paint a house, shift a standard transmission (though I have never driven one of those jillion-speed-with-two-speed-rear-axle truck jobs), and all the things that any male and many women who are now over 50 used to learn as a matter of course as part of growing up and developing the ability to take care of oneself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive