Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:19 PM

49 posts, read 211,662 times

Advertisements

Independent truckers planning shutdown

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-01-2008 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:43 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,104,413 times
Well that's silly, we'll all have to buy it on Tuesday.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
Well that's silly, we'll all have to buy it on Tuesday.
And more of it since we'll have less in the tanks! Watch the price jump Tuesday and Wednesday in anticipation.

What? You think the oil company execs are stupid? Not. They'll wait you out and gouge you. I'm filling both tanks tomorrow to avoid the mid-week jump.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 PM

Besides, I think your post breaks a few CD posting regs, too.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,028,295 times
Why not boycott one specific company? That makes more sense than buying gas on Monday or Wednesday to avoid Tuesday. (You do realize that April 1st is Tuesday, not Monday, right?)

Old 03-30-2008, 10:03 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,403,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Why not boycott one specific company? That makes more sense than buying gas on Monday or Wednesday to avoid Tuesday. (You do realize that April 1st is Tuesday, not Monday, right?)

I heard that also. If everyone would stick to one company for atleast a week, I think that it would send a bigger message.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,868,928 times
What message would that send? The message would be, let's let "x" oil get richer, while keeping the price up. So when the others drop their prices to entice drivers, there is no brand loyalty. What do we do to make it really work? rotate which companies we ALL let gouge us every week? Another foolish gas gimmick that is bound for failure before it is fully thought out and no way to implement.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,829 times
Yeah, these don't work at all. If you want to send a message, don't do it for a day or two: Make a real commitment to cutting back on your oil consumption overall. Lowering demand is the only REAL way to get prices to fall.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
As a truck driver, I've got more than a passing interest in fuel prices. As someone who's been in the industry for 11 years now, I doubt more than a handful of drivers will "strike" anyway; most of us just are too busy trying to earn a living. And it's difficult to get 5 truckers to agree on the best route from, say, Joplin, MO to Dallas, TX much less agree to strike for a unified purpose... But I digress. I listened to Steve Sommers on America's Trucking Network last night and I'll have to say that I really like what he had to say on the subject. He said that many in the trucking industry fault those owner operators and small company executives with poor business skills for not being able to make it because they are not controlling their other costs. And that may be a part of the problem. But, he said, it goes much deeper than that. Even those truckers that are doing well should STILL be concerned bcause $4/gallon diesel fuel affects EVERY American. Instead of the griping we do about all of the petty issues of trucking, we should be uniting to hold the politician's feet to the fire. As much as most every other industry in America is hamstrung by OVER-regulation, why in the world aren't the oil futures speculators being regulated? It seems that "anything goes" in the financial services arena. These guys are allowed to manipulate the market for their own selfish gain and the rest of us Americans are left holding the bag. This election season, we've allowed ourselves to get side-tracked by so many minor "red herring" issues. NONE of the three serious candidates for the Oval Office are laying out thir plans for how they'd get our oil prices to a sane level again (and thus our economy back on track) I wish I'd taped Steve's comments...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
As a truck driver, I've got more than a passing interest in fuel prices. As someone who's been in the industry for 11 years now, I doubt more than a handful of drivers will "strike" anyway; most of us just are too busy trying to earn a living. And it's difficult to get 5 truckers to agree on the best route from, say, Joplin, MO to Dallas, TX much less agree to strike for a unified purpose... But I digress. I listened to Steve Sommers on America's Trucking Network last night and I'll have to say that I really like what he had to say on the subject. He said that many in the trucking industry fault those owner operators and small company executives with poor business skills for not being able to make it because they are not controlling their other costs. And that may be a part of the problem. But, he said, it goes much deeper than that. Even those truckers that are doing well should STILL be concerned bcause $4/gallon diesel fuel affects EVERY American. Instead of the griping we do about all of the petty issues of trucking, we should be uniting to hold the politician's feet to the fire. As much as most every other industry in America is hamstrung by OVER-regulation, why in the world aren't the oil futures speculators being regulated? It seems that "anything goes" in the financial services arena. These guys are allowed to manipulate the market for their own selfish gain and the rest of us Americans are left holding the bag. This election season, we've allowed ourselves to get side-tracked by so many minor "red herring" issues. NONE of the three serious candidates for the Oval Office are laying out thir plans for how they'd get our oil prices to a sane level again (and thus our economy back on track) I wish I'd taped Steve's comments...
Big oil owns government. Good luck with finding politicians with big enough kahunas to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive