Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 03:46 AM

628 posts, read 839,641 times

Advertisements

According to Autotrader it could be cheaper to buy a new car than a used car
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ng-used-209440
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
1-3 years old used, it is possible.

5 years old, almost impossible.

10 years old - nope.

On a newer used car, interest alone can eat up the difference if you are comparing something that does not depreciate much. Lightly used car prices are pretty high right now, which is surprising given all the lease returns.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Long ago, I quit believing much of what the "experts" had to say on any subject.
"Ex-spurt"
"EX"= a has been
"SPURT"= a drip under pressure
Too many of them, IMO, have a lot of "book learnin", but not enough real world "street smarts"!

Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Long ago, I quit believing much of what the "experts" had to say on any subject.
"Ex-spurt"
"EX"= a has been
"SPURT"= a drip under pressure
Too many of them, IMO, have a lot of "book learnin", but not enough real world "street smarts"!

Well said!!

Reminds me of Politics (George Carlin):

Poly = Multiple.
Tics = Blood sucking creatures.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:13 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
According to Autotrader it could be cheaper to buy a new car than a used car
https://www.autotrader.com/car-shopp...ng-used-209440
Interesting, Qwh.

Am I missing something . . . what about higher Insurance and Registration fees for a new vehicles vs one a few years old?

Old 06-11-2018, 03:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,823,614 times
Back in late 2003, I went car shopping with my father. We were looking for a car for my sister and went to a Chevy dealer to look at a certified Monte Carlo SS. It was a 2003 and had under 10K miles on it and was probably a demo.

They were able to offer a better deal on a brand new leftover. It was a big dealer and the story was that they took in all the leftovers from surrounding smaller dealers and were unloading them. They had six leftover Monte Carlo SS, all the same except for the color, and they all had stickers on the decklid from other dealerships.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:14 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Interesting, Qwh.

Am I missing something . . . what about higher Insurance and Registration fees for a new vehicles vs one a few years old?
What about lower interest costs?

What about higher resale or trade in value?

Of course one has to assume that folks know how to negotiate. Many don't know how.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Interest rates as low as 0% offset a lot of other things when used car rates are like 7%. But only if the car is new enough to be high dollar. A $4,000 loan will not accrue all that much interest even at 7%.

If we are considering a nearly new vs. a new car insurance rates and registration fees and not significantly different. If you buy a $30,000 car and compare it to he the same car that is 1 year old and worth say $27,000. You will not see much difference. Resale value is not that different either because the new car deprecates must faster the first year while the used car already took the big depreciation hit. Depreciation is a curve the levels somewhat over time. Thus, the newer car will always be depreciating faster than the older car.

I always snicker when people claim to be master car purchase negotiators. First off the difference in sales prices is in the hundreds, not thousands, so it does not make a ton of difference. Second in this age of information, pretty much everyone knows what a car can be purchased for and knows what a decent deal is. There is no secret trick. The car is going to sell within a certain price range and most buyers know what that price range is. Then it becomes a matter of how stubborn and patient you are that will determine where you fall within that price range. I defy anyone to negotiate a better deal than my daughter was offered minutes after simply walking in the door. Apparently they thought she was nice, or cute or something because they simply handed her about the best price that could be negotiated for that car, all she had to say was I like that one.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:34 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
Two people I know that bought new after seeing used, new was only $4000 more for a Corella and about $2000 for a new Sonata

Old 06-11-2018, 04:42 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Used might not cost more, but there are definitely times where it is close. Jeep Wranglers for instance. You will see a 2-3 year old wrangler with 30something thousand miles and it will only be a few thousand less than a brand new one.

Out here in Colorado, the same applies for some models of Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive