Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 04:54 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new car. I looked into a late model used one, but they were really only a few thousand dollars less. Our interest rate is 0%. That's not and option for used cars. The insurance on my brand new car was substantially less than the 10 year old car I was driving because the new one has a bunch of safety features the old one didn't. We also negotiated an extended warranty, so it's covered bumper to bumper for 100K miles. It made more sense for us to buy new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 05:21 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Nope... a new Range Rover is $80k. A 2015 Range Rover can be had in the $45k range used -- that's $35k in depreciation. If you keep the used Rover for 5 years the repair bills are not going to add up to $35k, no way. You come out way ahead buying used.
That depreciation is only realized if the new Range Rover owner decides to sell the car before the rate of depreciation levels out to a relative flat/steady level.

Ultimately when the 2nd owner buys that used Range Rover (or other luxury foreign car) without warranty, they will be stuck with those expensive repair bills that will be showing up more frequently. Especially considering the price will have a nasty markup on the lot because its a foreign luxury brand SUV with solid demand.

It's not breaking news to understand the money pits of many used (especially foreign luxury) cars. If they weren't money pits, no one would ever buy a new car.

Last edited by Rocko20; 06-12-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive