Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 12:56 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,995,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I believe the vettes have a backup door release and the floor next to the seat so it is too bad the guy didn’t know the safety features of his car
They do. The guy should have read his manual and the dealer should have been very clear to point it out. I knew all this and I've never even owned a C6 or C7, but I read manuals to cars that I'm interested in long before I buy them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 01:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,624,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
TPMS has saved many drivers from driving on a low tire until it was flat enough to notice.
That's what happened to my wife. TPMS came on and gave her the pressure and which tire it was. She called me and I told her to come home and keep an eye on the pressure. She was on her way out of town to a remote area. Absolute worst place to have a flat. All of my vehicles have TPMS with individual tire pressure display. It's saved us twice now. I wouldn't want a vehicle without it. And I've never had a TPMS problem with any of my vehicles.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:16 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,705,528 times
Prefer using real keys. 2 of my 4 vehicles have the push start

Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,437,225 times
At my age my present car will likely be my last one. It has old fashioned keys.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:41 PM

1,571 posts, read 3,298,596 times
Keyless. I love not having to dig it out of my purse. I recently bought back a 2004 vehicle I used to own. I find that even though I can remotely lock/unlock the doors, I am thoroughly annoyed by having to once again deal with a real key. #firtworldproblems

Old 05-12-2018, 09:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,150,104 times
Quote:
There’s actually less moving parts in a keyless setup.
Unless you’re still starting a car with a hand crank, everything else is a “gimmick”, you’ve just finally reached an age where new stuff scares you.
Are you really comparing hand cranking to using a key to start the car? I mean, really?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:12 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,691,064 times
Quote:
But it doesn't breakdown later. I've owned at least 14 cars (4 with push button start), and the only two ignition switch issues I had where with the keyed ignition. A bunch of tumblers inside of a cylinder contain far more moving parts than a wireless transmitter.
Your wife could have just as easily programmed out the TPMS warning with a cheap programming from Amazon and it would act like all your trucks that you need to use a pressure gauge at every gas fill up.
TPMS has saved many drivers from driving on a low tire until it was flat enough to notice.
Already tried to do everything I could on the TPMS. Looked online. Cleared the light. It would clear then come back. I talked to a infinity shop and they said it needed to be reprogrammed. No big deal really just a pita of spending $120 for something this stupid.
The only reason TPMS was introduced is because people got so lazy about actually checking their air pressure. I’m not sure if this is everywhere but in Ca. Mechanics are required to check your air pressure if they work on your car. It’s called Tire Pressure Regulation. No joke.
Other than wear items and one recall for a dash gauges and some relay the SUV is pretty troublecfree. We’re gonna sell it when it hits 200,000 which is ususlly my get something else mileage cutoff.
On my diesels 500,000 miles.

As for the ignitions one car was 30 years old when I replaced the ignition. The other car was a service truck that was 14 years old and started and stopped every day at least 10x a day 6 days a week.
The whole ignition units cost less than 30 bucks and took less than 30 minutes each to install.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:02 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,761,229 times
Not here to convince anyone but I could never own a car without keyless entry again.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:32 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,995,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Already tried to do everything I could on the TPMS. Looked online. Cleared the light. It would clear then come back. I talked to a infinity shop and they said it needed to be reprogrammed. No big deal really just a pita of spending $120 for something this stupid.
The only reason TPMS was introduced is because people got so lazy about actually checking their air pressure. I’m not sure if this is everywhere but in Ca. Mechanics are required to check your air pressure if they work on your car. It’s called Tire Pressure Regulation. No joke.
Other than wear items and one recall for a dash gauges and some relay the SUV is pretty troublecfree. We’re gonna sell it when it hits 200,000 which is ususlly my get something else mileage cutoff.
On my diesels 500,000 miles.

As for the ignitions one car was 30 years old when I replaced the ignition. The other car was a service truck that was 14 years old and started and stopped every day at least 10x a day 6 days a week.
The whole ignition units cost less than 30 bucks and took less than 30 minutes each to install.
Nobody has been regularly checking their pressure though. The only time it gets checked is when it goes in for a tire rotation or something. The reason this country is great is because when an engineer finds something that needs to get done but isn’t getting done because it’s too tedious, they create a way to make it not tedious.

The cost to replace your TPMS is pretty insignificant over the life of the car.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:32 AM

672 posts, read 703,708 times
I'm on team keyless entry. I won't buy another car without it.

You just walk up to the car and the doors unlock and push a button. Some people see that as a lazy feature, but I say why make things harder than they have to be. Technology tends to make our life easier. I wonder how many of the same posters would trade their gas or electric tools/appliances for the manual version, since that's the lazy way. Keyless entry will probably be a standard feature in the next few years.

I can think of three minor downsides. (1)The keys are slightly bulky. (2)If you don't leave them in your pocket/purse you may forget and leave them in the car, cup holder to be specific, and this can lead to an easy theft. (3)You can also forget to shut down the car. Although it beeps once the key leaves the car you can still forget but that happens rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive