Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,684,979 times

Advertisements

We have four vehicles...two with push start and two with key start. I definitely prefer the keyless entry and push start. I see no downside to keyless entry and push start. Those that don't like them better stockpile some older cars because in a few years keys will be a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 09:38 AM

3,322 posts, read 2,379,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Definitely the mechanical key and ignition switch.

I would never want to drive a car with a computerized ignition activation, that can disobey my command to shut down (even at speed when I think it's necessary) or ignore my command to keep running (ditto).

Who on Earth would drive a car that can overrule its driver like that???
Most modern cars with keyed ignitions have a computer chip inside the key as an anti theft device. So, if you truly want a car without a computerized ignition activation, you'll have to buy something from the 80s or older.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,767,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There are still people who prefer cranking windows and push button radio. I understand.

If the key fob fails, you're utterly stranded. That's what I don't like about them.

Having owned two "keyless start" Toyota Camrys, I can report that there is no hidden alternate for using the key to start the vehicle. The key accesses the locks on the driver's side door and the glove box.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:00 AM

22,145 posts, read 33,934,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You ain’t lying. They should rename this the Luddite forum. I’m surprised they even figured out how to use the computer to get on this website.
Yeah we’re all afraid of a keyless ignition. Dude please stop talking out of your azz. The question was which do you prefer. Most of the whiz bang stuff on a car isn’t needed. It’s just more crap to break down later.
Here is a waste of money.
My wife’s TPMS went haywire. It cost $120 to get it reset and reprogrammed since it’s not something you can do at home without a $350 programmer. . So I just spent $120. To get a light and a intermittent warning tone to go off the dash. Tires were filled with air to the recommended pressure. No air loss no nails in tires.My other trucks don’t have the systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Most modern cars with keyed ignitions have a computer chip inside the key as an anti theft device. So, if you truly want a car without a computerized ignition activation, you'll have to buy something from the 80s or older.
Even in the 80s they started doing a chip in the key. It was basically a resistor. If someone wants to steal your car they will get it. I think newer cars are even easier to steal as the computerized systems are hackabke.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
If the key fob fails, you're utterly stranded. That's what I don't like about them.

Having owned two "keyless start" Toyota Camrys, I can report that there is no hidden alternate for using the key to start the vehicle. The key accesses the locks on the driver's side door and the glove box.
Read your owner's manual. Both of my fob-equipped cars have a way to start the car in the event of a fob battery failure. Both cars also alert you to a low battery condition on the DIC, so there is no reason for the battery to die except for user failure to replace in a timely manner.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:03 AM

26,244 posts, read 21,881,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
The guy getting caught in the Vette was a cautionary tale to read your owner’s manual. There’s a mechanical backup to get out of the Vette. He could have also popped the targa off. I think he was in a panic.

I remember once I stuffed a bunch of large boxes in a 2000 Explorer. Then the mechanical handle broke inside the hatch door. The boxes were too big to come out the side doors. Thank god Explorers still has the separate hinged hatch door glass, so I pull loose the inside trim panel and fix the handle from the inside, otherwise I would have had boxes in the back forever.

I believe the vettes have a backup door release and the floor next to the seat so it is too bad the guy didn’t know the safety features of his car

Old 05-12-2018, 12:38 PM

9,613 posts, read 7,050,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I think my favorite feature is having remote start. Letting my car warm up in the winter or cool off in the summer is great.

What I don't like about no longer having a physical key, is that I can't simply the turn the engine off while keeping the radio on. Pushing the button only cycles forward so everything gets turned off. But it's just a minor nuisance.
What car does that?
All mine allow me to just push the button to turn it off, which then shuts off the engine and leaves everything else powered on. When I open the door it cuts off everything else. Then if I push the button again without hitting the brake accessory mode comes back on.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:47 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,898,171 times
Keyless, nolo contendere.

Can't accidently lock them in the car, or forget them someplace when you are doing errands, etc.
Plus, my wrist was starting to hurt (arthritis?) at every turn, especially as car, and me, got older.
Plus, with optional Lexus Enform system, I will get an email if the battery is getting low!

I absolutely love these hi tech advances, as they seem to be both reliable and useful.
I mean who would prefer NOT to have 'bugs' like a tire pressure monitor system at your fingertips?

Old 05-12-2018, 12:53 PM

9,613 posts, read 7,050,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah we’re all afraid of a keyless ignition. Dude please stop talking out of your azz. The question was which do you prefer. Most of the whiz bang stuff on a car isn’t needed. It’s just more crap to break down later.
Here is a waste of money.
My wife’s TPMS went haywire. It cost $120 to get it reset and reprogrammed since it’s not something you can do at home without a $350 programmer. . So I just spent $120. To get a light and a intermittent warning tone to go off the dash. Tires were filled with air to the recommended pressure. No air loss no nails in tires.My other trucks don’t have the systems.

Even in the 80s they started doing a chip in the key. It was basically a resistor. If someone wants to steal your car they will get it. I think newer cars are even easier to steal as the computerized systems are hackabke.
But it doesn't breakdown later. I've owned at least 14 cars (4 with push button start), and the only two ignition switch issues I had where with the keyed ignition. A bunch of tumblers inside of a cylinder contain far more moving parts than a wireless transmitter.
Your wife could have just as easily programmed out the TPMS warning with a cheap programming from Amazon and it would act like all your trucks that you need to use a pressure gauge at every gas fill up.
TPMS has saved many drivers from driving on a low tire until it was flat enough to notice.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Keyless, nolo contendere.

Can't accidently lock them in the car, or forget them someplace when you are doing errands, etc.
Plus, my wrist was starting to hurt (arthritis?) at every turn, especially as car, and me, got older.
Plus, with optional Lexus Enform system, I will get an email if the battery is getting low!

I absolutely love these hi tech advances, as they seem to be both reliable and useful.
I mean who would prefer NOT to have 'bugs' like a tire pressure monitor system at your fingertips?
Cue up all the posts about how those tech gadgets will fail! The Luddites will be posting shortly! As for me, I love the technology in new cars. Haven't had any issues with any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive