Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who did it better? Both are pretty impressive redesigns
2018 Honda Accord 32 52.46%
2018 Toyota Camry 29 47.54%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:58 AM

7,208 posts, read 9,365,452 times

Advertisements

If it were me, instead of buying either, I'd prefer to buy $30K worth of a used Lexus LS-460. For example:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3083/overview/

Let the first owner take the depreciation hit. Never-farted-on seats are way too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 05:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,730,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
So you're saying you like the looks of the new Camry & Accord better than of the older versions? Must be a young fella.
No, I’m saying the majority of the ones we see on the road will be uglier than the ones in those pics, simply because the base models sell better.

The best looking Camry to me was the 92-96 models. For Accord I’d say 94-97.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:45 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
No, I’m saying the majority of the ones we see on the road will be uglier than the ones in those pics, simply because the base models sell better.

The best looking Camry to me was the 92-96 models. For Accord I’d say 94-97.
Oh! Sorry, must have misread. So you do like the looks of the older ones. For me the '97-02 Camry was the best looking ever, followed by the '86-91s. The mid-90s Camry you mentioned doesn't have the same cohesive togetherness of the generations preceding it and succeeding it. Not ugly, mind you, just doesn't catch my eye. Which is funny because I do like its contemporary Lexus.

As for Accords, I'd go with one from late '90s or early 2000s - before the bloat kicked in.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:46 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,049,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If it were me, instead of buying either, I'd prefer to buy $30K worth of a used Lexus LS-460. For example:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3083/overview/

Let the first owner take the depreciation hit. Never-farted-on seats are way too expensive.

"Never-farted-on seats are way too expensive."

Old 02-01-2018, 07:18 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,602,282 times
Camry is overstyled and the Accord is just ugly in my eyes. I prefer the looks of both previous models.

If I had to choose between the 2, I’d go with the Accord.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:22 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,028,345 times
Only choice.

Toyota. Has naturally aspirated engine and a real automatic transmission.

No one wants the Honda that may have a problem prone turbocharger that may burn up the engine prematurely.
Nor the Honda with a CVT transmission where the belts may stretch and fail prematurely.
Skip the Honda.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:40 PM

13,680 posts, read 9,765,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Oh! Sorry, must have misread. So you do like the looks of the older ones. For me the '97-02 Camry was the best looking ever, followed by the '86-91s. ...
I much prefer the 1970s predecessor to the Camry: the Corona. And best of all, it was properly RWD!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota...-06-18)_01.jpg

Update: This one is even nicer! https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/1875410.html

Last edited by ohio_peasant; 02-01-2018 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 04:42 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,884,153 times
Not a fan of either car but I like Honda's styling a lot better. Not a fan of Toyota and Lexus using that spindel grill or whatever they call it, no just no.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:17 PM

604 posts, read 655,869 times
The Passat (same class) is a much better car for both looks and handling.

We had a 2014 TDI and LOVED IT, only reason we no longer have it is they bought it back for more than we paid for 3 years later... Still miss it since we had no issuses and was giving us 44 MPG and higher on free way

Say what you want about German cars but they offer superior handling and looks

Old 02-01-2018, 08:03 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,779,968 times
I’m not voting because they’re both horribly ugly especially the Camry, with that god awful weird evil looking new front end.

The Accord looks better, but still strange, almost like the designers were inspired by the transformers movies.

There’s almost a robotic styling trend going on lately, Toyota and Lexus being the worst offenders with that massively disgusting razor blade, trapezoid, and bass mouth grill that is so overplayed and cartoonish.

Also I was at a local car show that had the new Camry and Accord on display, anybody could sit inside of them to get a feel for them.

Well I was extremely disappointed in both of the interior quality of the cars. Flimsy feeling door panels and plastics. Like other pro reviewers have said in regards to the Camry’s lightweight chinzy hollow sounding doors, that is absolutely true. It’s like they removed any sort of sound deadening material and used crappy metal.

They get you on the upscale looks, but don’t be fooled, they don’t feel like upscale car at all.

Even the Accord was a letdown, sure the new glossy touchscreen panel looks sleek and nice, including the controls, but it’s the rest of the materials that are yet again very cheap feeling and look really bland. It could use some nicer brighter trim pieces such as real aluminum and door panels that aren’t hard as a rock either.

Don’t be tricked either by the fake stitching, these aren’t anywhere close to a luxury car It terms of quality of materials and or feel. Lexus, especially the ES350 was very nice inside and out, this is were Toyota hasn’t skimped out so much in quality. The RX was ok, not as nice inside as the ES but still better than other luxury brands.

I agree with the poster who said he rather buy a used LS460 for $30K, I would too they are amazing cars to drive being RWD, are extremely nice inside and ultra comfy. Reliable at that plus you can still get a V8 in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive