Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Because they don't have an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 01:53 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
100% spot on!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
And the car is towed to the owners house as opposed to taking it to a junkyard. There is no hope for the car. Why do people do this? There are two or three in my neighborhood now.
It's a hell of a lot cheaper then monthly payments on a new car for 4+ years with higher insurance costs.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
I see lots of cars for sale on Craigslist that fixed up after the insurance company totaled them.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Many cars are worth far more for their parts than the whole wreck. If you have the time and the space, you can make a tidy sum parting the car out, and then when all the parts of any value are gone, sell the remainder for scrap. Again, it would have to be a popular and expensive or rare car to make it worth the time.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:08 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I see lots of cars for sale on Craigslist that fixed up after the insurance company totaled them.
Those vehicles TITLE should show salvaged, a red flag when considering buying.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I know this likely is a very small % of cars that wind up in owners' yards---
But my sister was involved in accident several yrs ago in San Antonio TX area--north of town around Boerne--
More rural---Lots of people driving heavy SUVs and trucks---
She was in a truck---was basically run over from behind by driver coming down the exit ramp
She was knocked out--taken to hospital in ambulance--and didn't really have opportunity to explain her story to the TX highway patrol that investigated (it was outside city limits on I 35 access road I think)...

Anyway by time she came to and called her insurance company the guy who hit her had lied to the investigating office and said she pulled out in front of him--trying to blame her---She had the light going under the freeway and was in correct lane---the guy was just barreling off the freeway--maybe on his phone--and just didn't slow down...
The fact that he was going well in excess over the speed limit and totaled her truck and his seemed to have escaped both the officer and his attentions...
Her insurance company wanted to check the truck that hit hers but the driver had it towed to his private property---house on acerage in the area---and investigator could not get access to car w/o that guy's permission...which he wouldn't give...

It was not good time for my sister===and the guy who hit her tried to muscle her insurance company for all kinds of personal injury damages---even though he walked away w.o any real issues...(and I know that legitimate injuries can develop later) but get real...
He was a crook and putting that truck on his private property gave him total control over access...

Old 01-08-2017, 09:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I know this likely is a very small % of cars that wind up in owners' yards---
But my sister was involved in accident several yrs ago in San Antonio TX area--north of town around Boerne--
More rural---Lots of people driving heavy SUVs and trucks---
She was in a truck---was basically run over from behind by driver coming down the exit ramp
She was knocked out--taken to hospital in ambulance--and didn't really have opportunity to explain her story to the TX highway patrol that investigated (it was outside city limits on I 35 access road I think)...

Anyway by time she came to and called her insurance company the guy who hit her had lied to the investigating office and said she pulled out in front of him--trying to blame her---She had the light going under the freeway and was in correct lane---the guy was just barreling off the freeway--maybe on his phone--and just didn't slow down...
The fact that he was going well in excess over the speed limit and totaled her truck and his seemed to have escaped both the officer and his attentions...
Her insurance company wanted to check the truck that hit hers but the driver had it towed to his private property---house on acerage in the area---and investigator could not get access to car w/o that guy's permission...which he wouldn't give...

It was not good time for my sister===and the guy who hit her tried to muscle her insurance company for all kinds of personal injury damages---even though he walked away w.o any real issues...(and I know that legitimate injuries can develop later) but get real...
He was a crook and putting that truck on his private property gave him total control over access...
Depending on the state, if you do not deal with the other person's insurance company or have your insurance company deal with them, then you do not get ANYTHING in return..... So just by having the vehicle towed to your house ans refusing access kills any deals you want to have....

Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
And the car is towed to the owners house as opposed to taking it to a junkyard. There is no hope for the car. Why do people do this? There are two or three in my neighborhood now.
I recently saw a PU that had the camper shell strapped on...Then I saw the front end was kind of askew and then noticed the passenger door had braces on the front and rear of the door (Where the hinges would be on a normal house door) and then realized seeing the driver's door, the PU had been in a roll over...The owner possibly couldn't do anything but take it home and try and fix it...Somehow they did and got it running...damn...

Old 01-09-2017, 05:22 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Some municipalities have ordinances that prohibit residents from parking inoperative vehicles in a visible location on their property.

Mine does. No HOA needed. A vehicle needs to have a current registration & state inspection, and be able to be driven under it's own power, in order to be considered "operational".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive