Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 04:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times

Advertisements

If you took the amount of money I've spent in the last year keeping old cars running and divided it by 12, they would easily make a decent car payment. I've got so much money into my car that I basically have no choice but to drive it into the ground just to get my repair "investments" back. Sometimes buying new just makes more sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 06:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,554,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you took the amount of money I've spent in the last year keeping old cars running and divided it by 12, they would easily make a decent car payment. I've got so much money into my car that I basically have no choice but to drive it into the ground just to get my repair "investments" back. Sometimes buying new just makes more sense...
Drover, I think you're onto something there! My daily driver is a '92 Ford F150 (with over 192,000 miles). It runs really good, looks like heck (got a "cheapie" paint job; uh oh!...) and I've had most of the major components outside of the engine block replaced. I don't dare add up the total repairs lest I find that buying a new vehicle would've made more sense...

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM

897 posts, read 2,827,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That's why we buy new and drive them (heavily traveled with high mileage) for 8 to 10 years. We take excellent care of our vehicles ... change the oil, maintenance and repairs as required and they are a dream for the second-owner. The bad news for the US automakers is that we are Toyota / Honda loyalists - that's the key to our success as happy car owners!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,995,668 times
We drive ours for at least 10 years, then give them away to family.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,894,801 times
Still have my '91 Geo with 150K miles. Bought it 4 years old, for $2,500 with 89.5K miles already on it. Never had any engine problems, but the A/C & speakers haven't worked since I purchased it & after a few hundred $$'s, I gave up trying to fix either. My mechanic recently told me the under carriage rust is too great to repair & it won't pass inspection upon my return to the states, so I'll be getting rid of it within months. Too bad. Although the body is falling apart, still no engine problems, starts up everytime, immediately, even in Montreal cold.

Interestingly, this is the only used car I ever purchased & the only good one. Every other car was brand new junk that disintigrated before my eyes, along with my bank account, before 40K miles. No worse feeling than buying a brand new car that continues to cut into savings the second driven off the lot... or mailing that huge check to the loan company every month for a car that you'd like to kick to pieces each morning if you weren't in heels & carrying a travel mug filled with hot fluid.

Think I'll take the bus for awhile when I return. I'll eventually need a car, but oh so dread buying another. Car salesmen make my head & wallet hurt.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,443,669 times
Average age of cars on U.S. roads hits record 11.4 years - latimes.com

Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,692,867 times
I was amazed when I heard that number this morning. I had just been talking about it a day or two before. I figured the average was up to 8 or 9, did not think it was as high as 11.

At 13 years my car is only a little over average!

Old 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,508,928 times
Ours are much younger but I am sure they will all spend that age with us

Old 08-06-2013, 11:40 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,435,598 times
I'd like to see a study of carbon footprint between keeping a car for 15 years versus buying a new car every 5 years.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:33 PM

17,424 posts, read 22,176,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In 2007, 41.3% of cars were 11 years or older.

DETROIT - Americans are keeping their cars and trucks longer as quality improves and the uncertain economy makes new purchases less appealing, according to a study released this week by automotive consulting firm R.L. Polk & Co.

Americans keeping cars and trucks longer - Autos - MSNBC.com

Being that money is tough to come by, cars are more reliable than ever this seems like a moot point unless you are an automaker/car dealer. In years past, cars were a fashion statement, today more people approach cars like appliances (after all look at the popularity of the Prius!).

Would you replace your fridge' if it still keeps the beer cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive