Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:25 PM

958 posts, read 2,024,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I don't have a code from the computer just a part number but I think my real question is if I don't replace the oxygen sensor it won't hurt my car? I need to drive it a thousand miles first and then get the sensor but at $207 each I would only want to replace just the bad sensor? My jeep has the small engine.
Yes, you can (and probably should) replace just the one. Depending upon which one is bad, will depend upon how well your car car runs with it bad.

Modern cars have one (or 2) pre-cat and one (or 2) post-cat 02 sensors. The pre-cat sensors help the car determine how much fuel to deliver based upon operating conditions. If this one is bad, you might get too much or too little fuel that can cause drivability and other problems.

The post-cat sensor is generally to see how well your catalytic converter is working, and the car will usually drive fine without it. Some cars use the post cat sensor for a fuel other things (like communicating the cat is too hot and commanding some extra fuel to go through to cool it off improving emissions and prolonging the life of the cat) but I wouldn't worry too much about that for 1,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 03:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
OP the very first think you need to do is determine if you really do need an O2 sensor. what are the symptoms of what is going on? next you need to start with the basics, check for vacuum leaks, bad wiring connections, etc. after that you pull computer codes, and check the shop manual for the tests that need to be done for each code. start with the first code you get, and work through the list.

and remember, just because you get an O2 sensor code, does NOT mean the O2 sensor is the problem, it only tells you what system is being affected.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:40 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,596,242 times
pre cat 02 sensors are the sensors that work with the computer along with other sensors that control fuel output. Post cat sensors monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converter(s). If the post cat 02 sensors fail or get lazy they won't affect fuel economy.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Someone else may confirm this but it was my understanding that the car runs fine with a bad O2 sensor, it's strictly an emissions thing.
Unnecessary increased pollution is not compatible with my definition of "runs fine."

With bad upstream oxygen sensor(s) the fuel mixture will not be continually optimized by the powertrain computer. This will compromise fuel mileage, emissions and throttle response and decrease the life of the catalytic converter. USUALLY the vehicle runs fairly well and some will not even notice.

In most cases, the downstream oxygen sensor(s) exist only to keep tabs on how healthy the catalytic converter is. (Some exceptions.)

Quote:
You will have trouble passing your state emissions test though. Can I assume your check engine light comes on? If you can reset it can you tell how quickly it comes back on? One way to cheat the emissions testing system (so I'm told) is to go to an auto parts place that will lend you their diagnostics test, then you can re-set the codes. Drive it for a bit then get to the emissions center before the check engine light comes back on.
I think it makes more sense to have your vehicle running as well as possible as opposed to trying to get by with increased emissions.

Don in Austin

Old 05-24-2016, 06:57 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
pre cat 02 sensors are the sensors that work with the computer along with other sensors that control fuel output. Post cat sensors monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converter(s). If the post cat 02 sensors fail or get lazy they won't affect fuel economy.
Post cat. sensors do not effect fuel trim IN MOST CASES. There are exceptions.

Don in Austin

Old 05-24-2016, 07:35 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,847,886 times
Very rarely, do O2 sensors go bad. It is usually the catalytic convertor that is actually bad. This is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed codes on cars. If you don't have a scanner, go by Autozone and ask them to pull the codes for you. If you have P0420 or P0430, it is almost always the catalytic converter. P0420 is the driver's side and P0430 is the passenger's side. If you have a 4 cylinder or inline 6, you will only have P0420.

If you have other emissions codes, you may actually have a bad 02 sensor but we would need to know what code you have to help diagnose.

As others have stated, post cat sensors do not have any effect on the actual fuel trim or performance in most vehicles. They are simply there to detect catalytic converter inefficiency/failure.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:37 AM

280 posts, read 675,544 times
My 1999 Prizm has been reporting P0420 codes for years. I have an OBD reader and I clear them when they show up. When it's emission testing time, I run some Chem Tool or other fuel cleaner in the tank for a couple of days to be sure, and have never failed a test.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:54 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,554,563 times
Quote:
No I get it but the problem is the parts store won't let me take the monitor with me.

Readers are cheap these days

Amazon.com: Blusmart OBD MATE OM123 Car Vehicle Code Reader Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool (Orange): Automotive

Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,567,120 times
You oblivious don't want to do both, so just do what you can afford right now!
Tell your mechanic you can only afford one right now, and that you will bring it back when the other one is bad.
If can afford to do both, do both for if not anything, peace of mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Very rarely, do O2 sensors go bad. It is usually the catalytic convertor that is actually bad. This is one of the most commonly misdiagnosed codes on cars. If you don't have a scanner, go by Autozone and ask them to pull the codes for you. If you have P0420 or P0430, it is almost always the catalytic converter. P0420 is the driver's side and P0430 is the passenger's side. If you have a 4 cylinder or inline 6, you will only have P0420.

If you have other emissions codes, you may actually have a bad 02 sensor but we would need to know what code you have to help diagnose.

As others have stated, post cat sensors do not have any effect on the actual fuel trim or performance in most vehicles. They are simply there to detect catalytic converter inefficiency/failure.
What this man said X10
Repped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive