Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 08:32 PM

835 posts, read 2,883,422 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can give a ballpark of we can expect to pay. Or is it something my husband might be able to do himself? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 164,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Wondering if anyone can give a ballpark of we can expect to pay. Or is it something my husband might be able to do himself? Thanks.
It could be anywhere from 20 to hundreds of dollars. You do need to have a special socket that cost about 30 dollars. If it is frozen in the socket you need torches to get it out. Call around at parts places to see what it would be for your particular car.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,788,212 times
Like Katie said. If the O2 sensor is easily accessible, you might be able to simply use a crescent wrench to break it free and install a new one. If there is little space around it, yes, you'll need to pick up a special tool that looks exactly like a regular socket, but with a groove cut out in order to allow passage of the wire that connects to the sensor.

I can't speak for all autos, but oftentimes, you'll find it on or near the exhaust manifold. Your husband will probably want to work on getting it freed after the car has cooled down for the night. But you can also give it a try when it's warm... or torches. The risk of using a substance that breaks seals is that the chemical may ruin the existing sensor. No biggie. Give it a shot. But make sure all the residue of that stuff is removed before putting the new sensor in place. Those little buggers, that look like a spark plug with a wire coming from it, can be sensitive.

I've seen them for around the 60 to hundred buck range... some cars have more than one. Check with your local parts dealer. And, if your car is a 1996 or newer vehicle, a place like AutoZone or Advanced Auto can hook up a computer to your vehicle to help isolate which sensor is going bad if, in fact, you have more than one sensor.

Good luck!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:21 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,917,444 times
AutoZone will loan you the special socket "Free" with a deposit to ensure you bring it back. Not all O2 sensors are created equal, so you should shop by brand and then price.

O2 sensors can affect your fuel mileage. If you go with the cheapest price, you might be paying more in the long run in reduced fuel mileage and the sensor may not last as long as a reputable but more expensive brand.

Also pay close attention to see if the replacement O2 comes with just wires or with the electrical connector attached which will also affect the price. If it has an electrical connector, then it's simple plug and play. If it just has the wires, then you either have to splice the connector from the old O2 to the new O2 sensor, or use some other means to connect the new O2 sensor to the engine wiring harness.

Spray some PB Blaster on the threads of the old O2 sensor and let it set... overnight works best, but isn't mandatory. Repeat the application again right before attempting to loosen the sensor. Some of them are hard to get to which can affect how easy it is to replace them.

Most new cars have multiple O2 sensors... one before the catalytic converter and one after it, and sometimes on both sides of the engine exhaust system if it has dual cats installed. Make sure you buy the correct "Front" or "Rear" replacement to match the location of the old O2 sensor.

Oh.... and if you use the wrong tool and round off the socket nut trying to remove the old O2, you're in deep yogurt!

Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,215,107 times
Many trouble codes don't point accurately to the part at fault.

If you're not sure what's really wrong, a good dealer diagnosis and replacement may save you money in the long run.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 12,886 times
My honda 04 had the check engine light ON all the time, even after oil change. Turned out to be the o2 sensor and AAA quoted $280, yeah the rippers . Does anyone know if it would be an issue if I wait another 10 months before my emission check is due ? Thanks for reading..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:02 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esyed View Post
My honda 04 had the check engine light ON all the time, even after oil change. Turned out to be the o2 sensor and AAA quoted $280, yeah the rippers . Does anyone know if it would be an issue if I wait another 10 months before my emission check is due ? Thanks for reading..
You can run it, but your fuel mileage will most likely go down and the engine might run rough at times because the O2 sensor helps the car's computer regulate the fuel mixture based on the O2 and other sensor readings. If they told you which O2 is bad, you could probably change it yourself and save some money.

Obviously, it definitely won't pass NC State inspection with the check engine light on.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:05 PM

43,506 posts, read 77,499,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
You can run it, but your fuel mileage will most likely go down and the engine might run rough at times because the O2 sensor helps the car's computer regulate the fuel mixture based on the O2 and other sensor readings. If they told you which O2 is bad, you could probably change it yourself and save some money.

Obviously, it definitely won't pass NC State inspection with the check engine light on.
Actually, I ran my F150 for months with the Check Engine light on.
It was running lean. My fuel mileage was up, and then dropped when I had the O2 sensor replaced.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,205,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esyed View Post
1) The 'Check Engine Light' (CEL) in your car goes on for an oil change? I have heard of vehicles having a 'Maintenance Required' light, but throwing the CEL for something as simple as an oil change seems like an unnecessary anxiety attack. Wierd.

2) Do you know WHICH O2 sensor is supposedly bad? You vehicle likely has (2), at least. One is upstream of the catalytic converter, the other is downstream. If it is the upstream one, you may want to get it taken care of more sooner than later. This is the one that affects your air/fuel ratio. It likely won't leave you on the side of the road, but it will affect your fuel economy and may cause some other minor issues. If it's the downstream one, it doesn't matter as much. (I hope I got that right. I may have it backwards).

3) www.autozone.com shows the O2 sensor for a 2004 Honda Accord 4-cyl (I took a guess) as costing $108.99 for the one upstream of the cat and $78.99 for the one downstream. You could save yourself some good money if you do this yourself.

Mike

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM

4,297 posts, read 5,973,577 times
Default Consider yourself lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Actually, I ran my F150 for months with the Check Engine light on.
It was running lean. My fuel mileage was up, and then dropped when I had the O2 sensor replaced.
Runing lean is a good way to burn valves and melt holes in your pistons. You escaped what could have been a very expensive repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary