Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 AM

97 posts, read 58,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
as close as you may be to your friends, you will never truly know their full financial situation... did they inherent money? parents help out? etc... dont base your purchases on what people im "similar" life styles have...
Why do people always think they know better than you do....Pretty sure I know my friends situation considering I've known them for years at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
Yea, but it's not others responsibility or concern on what you do. Just answer the question on what car you like more and why or don't answer at all. Seems pretty simple to me.
You put the concept of earning x dollars out there, we didn't. Had you not done it, you would have gotten responses that were much more on point. That said, juxtaposing midsize sedans and sport sedans is inane, as you are asking people to compare cars that may either a). be well-comparable (base Audi A4 Quattro vs. Ford Fusion Titanium AWD), b). be completely incomparable (Chevy Malibu vs. Audi S4 or Toyota Camry vs. Mitsubishi Evo/Subaru WRX STI) or c). be one and the same (i.e. a BMW 340i which is both a sport sedan and a midsize sedan). If you know Venn diagrams at all, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
A nice car that sells at bargain prices is the Pontiac G8 GT. It is probably the best car ever put out under the Pontiac name. While the GXP is better (more power available manual trans), you cannot afford it. I have seen nice GTs for $18,000.

They were only available in 2009, so you are looking at a 7 year old car, but many of them were babied. Do not consider one that has been modified.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:21 PM

902 posts, read 1,104,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Toyota Avalon or Camry. Avalon is the twin of the Lexus ES. Can't go wrong with either car.
actually .....

the Avalon is the twin of the Lexus LS
the Camry is the twin of the Lexus ES

all 4 are great cars however none of them were on the OP's long list

Old 05-06-2016, 03:59 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
IF you want something that handles more like a sports car & doesn't break the bank look for a Mazda 6 or 3 Series.
Agree....after I bought mine used I was going to get a small ding taken out of it and the body guy said "This is a pretty sporty car!" And I replied "This is my WINTER car - I usually drive my RX8!" But yes, it is sportier and feels good to drive. It also has a LOT of space - the back seat folds down completely and you can get a lot inside.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
actually .....

the Avalon is the twin of the Lexus LS
the Camry is the twin of the Lexus ES

all 4 are great cars however none of them were on the OP's long list
They are all related, since they are on the same base platform, but the current ES is a cousin of the Avalon as it is larger than the Camry, whereas the previous version was on the direct Camry platform, not the stretched version used for the Avalon.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-06-2016, 06:05 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
I think next time I'll just ask what people prefer and why between cars instead of going into detail about potential salary. Buying a car is still a ways off given my current situation and I was just looking for opinions on different cars. Not what people think I need to do with my finances. If I make 40-45k a year and decide to buy an audi, hey that's on me. Given my other expenses and experience with friends who could afford it comfortably I think I'll probably be fine if I do.
Posting salary when asking for car recommendations is a good thing. You may not like what you read, but you'll be getting good advice. While your salary would make a used BMW or similar luxury/sport brand be within your price range, your income may not be able to handle the expensive repairs and auto insurance that comes with these brands. A used economy brand midsize sedan is a good choice. If set for a new car purchase, look at the compact class sedans. Today's compact class sedans have an interior size as big as midsize sedans of the late 1990s, great fuel economy, large trunk, and quality interior fit-n-finish. Some lean towards a smooth comfortable ride, some offer a fun sporty ride, and some try to strike a balance between comfort and sport. If you have your heart set on a new sport luxury car, buy a reliable cheap used car, pay it off, put the price of the payment into savings until you have enough saved to pay in full or pay more than half the cost in cash resulting in low monthly payments.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:54 PM

550 posts, read 637,538 times
Audi A4 but look for the Sport Trim.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If you're looking at a $36,000 a year job, you need to be looking at like a Civic or a Mazda3. Not a BMW.
Holy cow!

I'd say maybe a 1995 Dodge Neon Sport 4 door on that salary.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:29 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Holy cow!

I'd say maybe a 1995 Dodge Neon Sport 4 door on that salary.

Despite what this board groupthinks, there's nothing wrong with a car payment. If you're in an area that has little to no public transportation, it's worthwhile to buy a reliable car. Oftentimes these days, new cars aren't that much more, factoring in incentives, than a similar used car.

Assuming the OP has to finance, a Mazda3 can be had for $300-$350 a month, which is perfectly reasonable on that salary. If OP bought a new one, then that should be a car that lasts a long while, has very little in the way of maintenance or repairs, and is very fun to drive. I traded in my Mazda3 for a BMW, so I can knowledgeably say that a Mazda3 is about 85% as fun and a great budget car if you car about fun handling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive