Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 06:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
I can't choose between the accord, kia optima, ford fusion and volkswagen passat.
Go with the Accord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 06:52 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
first thing is you should not be stretching to buy any car. Give yourself a cushion for retirement savings and regular savings. The earlier you start saving in earnest, the easier it will be to get a nice nest egg.

DO NOT fall victim to the marketers (which includes the car magazine reviews). I have driven the new model passat and it's a terrific car. Unfortunately, part of car ownership includes maintenance and volkswagen is notorious for needing lots of repairs such that owners typically trade their cars in shortly after one or two large ticket repairs. If you are handy volkswagens are great used cars, otherwise avoid them like the plague.

if you are looking for interior volume and a great power to weight ratio for quick acceleration purchase the cheapest car you can find that satisfies those criteria. Don't be afraid to look at the previous generation since the latest generation will be old within a few years anyway. Narrow down your choices by comparing the specs then go sit in one and test drive it.

I personally love the fusion's styling and would consider a used one once the current generation gets replaced.

Avoid infiniti, mercedes, bmw for the same reasons you should avoid volkwagens. Maintenance can be costly.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,245,614 times
Quote:
I think next time I'll just ask what people prefer and why between cars instead of going into detail about potential salary. Buying a car is still a ways off given my current situation and I was just looking for opinions on different cars. Not what people think I need to do with my finances. If I make 40-45k a year and decide to buy an audi, hey that's on me. Given my other expenses and experience with friends who could afford it comfortably I think I'll probably be fine if I do.
Don't feel bad. The problem is your pre-frontal cortex has not yet fully developed and you are unable to make the considered choice that I and several other posters have given you based on our own life experience.

I was once in your shoes. Bought a brand new sporty car with my first job out of college. Made the same poor choice and bought an Audi brand new with my wife's first bonus check.

Now, I know better.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,855,741 times
Bought a new Volvo after first year of marriage. It was expensive , twice what my new Pontiac cost a couple years earlier. Volvo cured me of European cars. Was fun to drive WHEN it worked but left us stranded more times than I can imagine. Glad we had AAA. Parts were expensive and finicky. Sold it and bought a new Accord thinking it wouldn't last, kept it for 14 years and still looked and ran good.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:10 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Despite what this board groupthinks, there's nothing wrong with a car payment. If you're in an area that has little to no public transportation, it's worthwhile to buy a reliable car. Oftentimes these days, new cars aren't that much more, factoring in incentives, than a similar used car.

Assuming the OP has to finance, a Mazda3 can be had for $300-$350 a month, which is perfectly reasonable on that salary. If OP bought a new one, then that should be a car that lasts a long while, has very little in the way of maintenance or repairs, and is very fun to drive. I traded in my Mazda3 for a BMW, so I can knowledgeably say that a Mazda3 is about 85% as fun and a great budget car if you car about fun handling.
I don't know, I used to make a similar income and had to drive a hand me down vehicle I got for free. Luckily it was a very reliable model and well maintained, so I was able to make it last for a little over 5 years. I don't see how anyone at that income could swing a $300-$350/month payment unless they are in a living situation where they pay no rent or mortgage.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:07 PM

97 posts, read 58,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Don't feel bad. The problem is your pre-frontal cortex has not yet fully developed and you are unable to make the considered choice that I and several other posters have given you based on our own life experience.

I was once in your shoes. Bought a brand new sporty car with my first job out of college. Made the same poor choice and bought an Audi brand new with my wife's first bonus check.

Now, I know better.
You should also know based on life experience that you shouldn't make assumptions about someone based on what little you know. I know based on life experience when someone is being a bit passive aggressive.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
I don't know, I used to make a similar income and had to drive a hand me down vehicle I got for free. Luckily it was a very reliable model and well maintained, so I was able to make it last for a little over 5 years. I don't see how anyone at that income could swing a $300-$350/month payment unless they are in a living situation where they pay no rent or mortgage.
40k a year could easily afford that. $600 dollar apartment, $600 for both car payment and insurance together still leaves roughly $1300 or so left over.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:38 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
40k a year could easily afford that. $600 dollar apartment, $600 for both car payment and insurance together still leaves roughly $1300 or so left over.
Not too sure about your math. Did you factor in income tax (state, federal, SS, FICA), health insurance (medical, dental, vision, prescription), rent or monthly home payment, rent or home insurance, electricity, water, phone, gas, car insurance, gasoline, food, and other things? All these things, depending on where you live and how many people are in your family, can quickly add up.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Agree....after I bought mine used I was going to get a small ding taken out of it and the body guy said "This is a pretty sporty car!" And I replied "This is my WINTER car - I usually drive my RX8!" But yes, it is sportier and feels good to drive. It also has a LOT of space - the back seat folds down completely and you can get a lot inside.

My last Mazda was a 00 Protégé it had 195K on it when I sold it. I regret it looking back I drove that car like I was mad at it every day. It was a 5 speed. Dark blue which you didn't see a lot. The car needed to be painted but the body was in good shape & the interior was about perfect. I bought it as a toy but when I divorced my first wife I didn't have the time to finish it. All I did to it was modify the stock air box but some sticky tires on it & bigger sway bars. That thing handled like it was on rails. In all that time I never once replaced a clutch, fuel pump, starter, etc on that car.

Keeping go back & forth on what I want my next project to be & this car always stays on the list.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM

Narrowed it down to Acura TL, Honda Accord and Infiniti G37, all 2013 models. The Accord is an ex-l v6 trim, G37 is the sedan, TL has the tech package.

There is also a 2015 ford fusion titanium that is going for a pretty good rate, but has almost 40000 miles on it. Not sure about that one yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive