Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times

Advertisements

Is the TL an SH-AWD? IF so, I would rank that above the Accord, though the Accord handles fine in snow/ice. I would skip the Fusion, personally, as I do not think they're worth the money that you pay for the Titanium package, as I have known two people to take a bath on resale after less than two years, when compared to the base models, since the higher trim does not retain value as well. I would take an Accord over a Fusion.

The A4 and the 328 are both good considerations, though the A4 might come out ahead in longer-term reliability. I would purchase either.

However, starting out with the salary range you quoted, you should look to minimize expense and get the most for your money. So, I'd likely go with the Accord as it will retain value well, and when you're ready to upgrade in a couple of years, you will not lose as much to depreciation as you will with a Fusion or even the Kia. For a pre-owned, I'd look at a TL as it's a reliable vehicle with a lower cost to own than the 328 and likely the A4. If you don't need the SH-AWD, the FWD is also a bit less expensive to own/operate, so given the parameters you outlined, the Accord and TL would be my top picks.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:02 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuralNet88 View Post
Narrowed it down to used Honda Accord EXL V6, Kia Optima SX Turbo, Ford Fusion Titanium, Acura TL, BMW 328i and Audi A4 Quattro. It really depends on what job I get and how much it pays(I'm starting out in IT and am looking at between 14-20 dollars an hour roughly). I'm also mostly just looking for opinions on what people themselves prefer and why.

Also what is the most gas mileage that I should get with a used car? All of the cars above will probably be used unless I get paid well enough to get a new one.
Your all over the place here OP.

Based on expected income, I think I would lean to the Accord, Optima, or Fusion. Your income doesn't lend itself as well to used luxury brand vehicles, without committing more of your income to your car than you should really prefer to.

That said, a Pentastar V6 Charger, IMO, is more an affordable "sports sedan" than any of those mid sizers Too. So if we are considering fun to drive factor on a budget, all else secondary, I would look beyond your list.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
If you're looking at a $36,000 a year job, you need to be looking at like a Civic or a Mazda3. Not a BMW.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:10 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,387,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
If you're looking at a $36,000 a year job, you need to be looking at like a Civic or a Mazda3. Not a BMW.
Not unless he plans on living in it.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,130,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Yep, big mistake.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:32 AM

97 posts, read 58,480 times
I'm not looking at rather or not it's a good idea, I'm looking at what people like more between different cars. If I'm making 40-45k, I could certainly afford a used bmw or audi from a couple of years ago(I have friends who make that and can comfortably, while being single and living in a good apartment). If I'm making less than that in the 30k range than no, an accord or similar used would be better.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
I would personally go optima sxl. the new one is slick. It's a fast car, and from what I've read, handles really well. You can't go wrong with the warranty and it all around has great features.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,157 times
OP,

What do you currently drive? (what do you like/dislike about it)?
How old are you?
How long do you plan on having the car?
Do you plan on doing your own maintenance, do you have mechanic experience?
Where will you live? (trying to know what state, and what the weather is like)
Do you have a preference on euro, American, Japanese? FWD, RWD, AWD,? Manual/automatic?
Do you know your budget for a vehicle or repairs, (a budget for unexpected major repairs)?
Will this be a new car, or used car? (or which would you prefer)
How will you be using the car, (commuting, for work travels, pleasure, long distance road-trips).

Old 05-05-2016, 09:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
I'll shill for my employer on this one. Look at a 2017 Fusion Titanium 2.0T (with or without AWD, depending on preferences). For around $30-32K you can get a fully loaded sedan with some sport chops. If that's not enough, for $35K you can get the Fusion Sport with a 325 hp turbo V6.

Although on a $40K/year budget, I'd temper my tastes somewhat. When I made that much, living alone, I drove a 1994 Honda Accord all the while trying to justify buying a 3-year-old BMW for $18K and deciding against it in the long run.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM

973 posts, read 914,685 times
Stick with a cheaper car until you make more money. Payments on upper echelon vehicles like MB, BMW, or Lexus won't be pretty on your wallet. Nothing wrong w/ a Civic or Mazda, or even a WRX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive