Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,657 times

Advertisements

Do you have to be a AAA member to obtain an international driver's permit? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 07:03 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
No - but from what I've *heard*, they make it easier in terms of getting the paperwork needed......

Old 04-16-2015, 08:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
Nope

International Driving Permits

AAA - International Driving Permits

Old 04-16-2015, 02:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,767 times
that's just a "scam". only govt agencies issue drivers licenses. when did AAA became an international agency that it could issue drivers license recognize by all countries?

Old 04-16-2015, 02:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
that's just a "scam". only govt agencies issue drivers licenses. when did AAA became an international agency that it could issue drivers license recognize by all countries?

A so-called "international drivers license" is nothing but a globally recognized translation of your home drivers license into a number of foreign languages and alphabets. When driving outside your own country, you are required to show both your home DL and the IDL translation. The only thing the IDL shows is the class of vehicle that you are qualified to drive, and places your full name and country of origin in a standardized format.

The IDL issued by AAA has absolutely no validity unless you also show your home country drivers license along with it. Google /international drivers license online/ to find numerous sources besides AAA.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Completely untrue. Many countries REQUIRE it. It is simply a booklet issued by an authorized agent (in the US that's AAA) giving information about the driver in many languages.

No, you do not need to be a member.

No, membership will not make it "faster" or "easier".

Old 04-16-2015, 05:29 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
And you base your opinions on facts....or opinions?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:35 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
And you base your opinions on facts....or opinions?
that's a fact. only govt agencies issue drivers license. what AAA issue is the translation

if you don't believe me, why don't you get your "license" from AAA and show it to the highway patrol/cops whenever they stop you?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
that's a fact. only govt agencies issue drivers license. what AAA issue is the translation

if you don't believe me, why don't you get your "license" from AAA and show it to the highway patrol/cops whenever they stop you?
"That is a fact" isn't really backing up your words with facts.

Have you driven a car in a country that requires an international drivers permit?

If yes where did you obtain it?

Driving Abroad

And when I got pulled over in Italy they were satisfied with the permit I obtained from AAA in the US.

Tell me your experience getting pulled over in a foreign country.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
I got one from the AAA and used it in Holland. I did not get pulled over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive