Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,625,399 times

Advertisements

My elderly mother just damaged the rear axle of her 2000 Chevy Metro with some body damage to the left side from the passenger door to the rear bumper. The left rear wheel is bent inwards and in contact with the car so it's not driveable. It looks like she overstayed at the supermarket, tried to drive herself home in the dark rather than call one of us at work to get her, and drove off a small side street causing the damage.

She's had three accidents in twelve years, one of which was a total loss. It's been 7 1/2 years since the last accident. Is there any risk to her being insurable with her company (State Farm) at her age (79) and the number of accidents? Since the value of her car is minimal ($ 3000), I have my doubts about even calling the insurance company and the body shop yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,770,988 times
Most important question, lchoro . . . how much is the car worth and what is the collision deductible?

You may want to check New Car Prices | Used Car Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site or New Car Prices, Used Car Pricing, Car Reviews by Edmunds Car Buying Guide before you even bother calling the insurance company.

Good Luck

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 PM

190 posts, read 682,279 times
Was she ticketed? If so the points will show up on her record.
If it was my mother I would be concerned about her safety and that of those around her.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:23 PM

She never stopped at the location of the incident. She thought she ran over a rock.

The car looks like it was scraped by the car to the left.

I think that there are two possibilities. She was pulling into the exit lane from the right lane and a passing car hit her. The other possibility is that she made the right turn and was hit by a car that was making a left turn onto the same road.

She's mostly confined to driving in her immediate neighborhood in the daytime. She only logs about 1500 miles a year.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 PM

355 posts, read 2,706,456 times
I think you should just sell the car. The Chevy Metro is not a very safe car. I think your mother should get into a newer car that is safer. I say this because as drivers get older, they are not as alert as they once were and I think that they should be in safer cars because they are more likely to get into an accident. In other words, I think your mother should buy another vehicle. To get this vehicle fixed will most likely cost more than the car is worth, which means that the insurance company would most likely call it " totaled."

Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM

625 posts, read 4,578,091 times
DAMN! take away her car before she kills someone!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:35 PM

13,932 posts, read 39,405,081 times
Could be the car was hit by some one else while parked! I would get the est then decide the rest, but dont blame mom until you are sure she caused the damage!!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:02 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,654,814 times
I'm thinking along the same lines as some others here. The last thing that you should be worried about is the car. I know it's hard to take away one of the last freedoms that an elderly person has but there comes a time when they need to get off the road. Please don't justify to yourself that she only drives around the neighborhood, less than 1500 miles per year. We all know the stat about most accidents occuring only a short distance from one's home. States have different criteria for retesting drivers. Often times a personal physician can ask for a person to be retested or you can tell your D.M.V. about your concerns. Good luck to you and your mom.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:30 AM

I don't have any illusions that she'll have to give up that privilege entirely at some time. She used to do entirely all of her own driving for herself seven years ago. We take her on shopping trips on a weekly basis now, take her to nighttime dinner outings several times a month, and take her to the doctor's appointments. She used to be able to handle doctor's appointments on her own, but I've gradually had to take over all discussions between her and her doctors. It takes an incredible amount of grilling by me to get the full facts out of her as she sometimes relays incorrect or irrelevant information.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:52 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,654,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I don't have any illusions that she'll have to give up that privilege entirely at some time. She used to do entirely all of her own driving for herself seven years ago. We take her on shopping trips on a weekly basis now, take her to nighttime dinner outings several times a month, and take her to the doctor's appointments. She used to be able to handle doctor's appointments on her own, but I've gradually had to take over all discussions between her and her doctors. It takes an incredible amount of grilling by me to get the full facts out of her as she sometimes relays incorrect or irrelevant information.
I understand what your saying. We went through the same thing thing with my uncle who had Alzheimer's. What I don't want you to post is that we should have done it sooner. My point is if your taking her to all these appointments, then I guess you realize that she shouldn't be driving at all. Once again good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive