Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 11:46 AM

155 posts, read 577,099 times

Advertisements

I am looking into selling my car independently in the next few months. Have you ever done this? If so, did you write out your own contract, or BOS? I am curious about the things that I need to have in the agreement (so that once the sale is complete, I will no longer be responsible for the vehicle). If you have a contract that you've written or could direct me somewhere that would have this information that would be great.

If you want to DM me, I'll send you my email address so you can email me the contract that you have come up with.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 01:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
I have sold many of my own vehicles and have never had to write a contract. When the buyer has paid me I sign the title, they sign the title in front of me. I turn the license plates intot he DMV and notify them that I ahve sold the vehicle and who I have sold it to and for how much. Never had a problem.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:40 PM

326 posts, read 1,371,462 times
I always put " sold as is " on receipt.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
most states have a "report of sale" responsibility for seller, (portion of the title). You want to do that as soon as it leaves your property, often available 'on-line'.

I use a BOS, or a contract, and the title info.

It is good to get a copy of purchasers DL and at least their address and phone number in case the car gets stolen or ends up in the 'impound lot' and bill comes to you.

get cash... or don't let the car leave your property until you have cleared the check.

I sell many cars myself, beware of someone buying with one of those 'credit card' cash advance checks. (you can get stiffed by those)

I prefer cash, or cashiers check or bank money order.

Do add the "as-is" clause, and inform you insurance company that there will be some "accompanied" test drives. View the VALID DL BEFORE the test drive, and ask for a proof of insurance (tho yours will be primary)

Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
You don't need a contract to sell a vehicle privately.

All that's needed is a Bill of Sale, which you can also indicate is a receipt for the money you get. Don't give the buyer the signed over title or receipt until you actually have received good funds in hand ... either cash, or a verifiable cashier's check or personal check. If the buyer is local and pays with any form of a check, head to their bank and cash it before completing the deal; if you don't want to have cash, at least get their payment converted into a bank draft or cashier's check may payable to you from the bank (this may cost a few dollars, but it means you have good funds).

You should have all the usual details, like date, seller's name and address, buyer's name and address, amount of sale, and a reasonable description of the vehicle ... year, make, model, mileage (if known), VIN number ... on the BOS. It's best to state that there's no warranty or guaranty for the vehicle.

With the signed over clear title and the BOS, the buyer has all the documentation they need in any state to obtain their title to the vehicle.

It's that simple and easy for you to do. OH, keep a signed original copy of the BOS with the buyer's signature on it for your records. The last thing you want is to have the vehicle go down the street and the new owner not have insurance nor title and get into an accident. At that point, as far as the state is concerned, you're still the owner of record and liable for any damages. It's essential that you have valid proof that you were no longer the owner. Protect yourself and notify the state authorities that you've sold the vehicle, along with promptly furnishing such proof to your insurance company so that you're not paying for insurance for a car you don't own.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:12 PM

31 posts, read 150,980 times
Check the reference section on Cars.com for downloadable forms and contracts.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanatastar View Post
I am looking into selling my car independently in the next few months. Have you ever done this? If so, did you write out your own contract, or BOS? I am curious about the things that I need to have in the agreement (so that once the sale is complete, I will no longer be responsible for the vehicle). If you have a contract that you've written or could direct me somewhere that would have this information that would be great.

If you want to DM me, I'll send you my email address so you can email me the contract that you have come up with.

Thanks
Considering our "Sue Freak Society" nowadays, great question, kanatastar.

A well written contract is very important and fairly easy to obtain. I have a computer program called Family Lawyer (definitely not the only one out there) that has a form or contract for just about any transaction possible (a great investment). Also, a number of websites offer contracts available to download.

Whatever you do, to eliminate future problems, make certain you have a detailed contract completed and signed by both parties as well as inform your local DMV immediately after the sale (online form available here in Arizona, not certain about other states).

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,668 times
like mentioned above, all you "really" should need is the title signed by you and the buyer. but its a good idea to get a bill of sale just for records. especially if the buyer lives far away, he/she can present that to the cops as proof of purchase should they get caught testing the top speed on the way home.

you can google "bill of sale" to find one on a dmv website. just print it out and fill the blanks

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
LegalZoom: Online Legal Document Services: LLC,Divorce,Wills,Incorporation & More

Old 02-19-2008, 01:17 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,776 times
When I sell a vehicle I always make sure to have a bill of sale and have it notarized. I've found the best place to do closing is at my bank so that my bank can verify their certified funds or if they are bringing cash so that they take the risk of carrying it. The notarized bill of sale is very important if the buyer gets in an accident or the vehicle is stolen, it protects you from responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive