Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2013, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,960 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, any wrench-turners in the house???

I have a '94 Galant that's been down for a little over a month and just got it back on the road last wednesday. 2 days later, the high pressure fuel line that attaches to the fuel pump ruptured while driving, spraying gas under the back seat where it's located. I had to keep driving it, at all of 5mph until I got somewhere to pull it over safe. On the way it was sputtering, backfiring, surging and then struggling to move, as expected from the loss of fuel pressure. Anyway, after the hallucinations wore off - I pulled up the back seat and indeed there was a puncture in the line.

Today (the date of this post) I got another section of high pressure line and replaced the bunk one. I started it up and she ran a little rough for about 10-15 secs, so I decided to rev her up, and when I did, the car stalled out. This happened every time I tried to give it any gas...every time. The wired thing about it is after it would stall out, whatever gas that was forced in there from me pressing the pedal is what the engine would burn to run on the next crank. When I crank without giving it any gas, it run really rough for about 15 secs again and slowly conk out. There's no hiss when I took the gas cap off, like there's no pressure in the tank. I undid the bolts at the fuel rail that come off the main fuel filter and gas is getting to it, the spark plugs are new(like less than a week old), new distrib cap and rotor(also less than a week old).

Any ideas as to why it dies after pressing the gas pedal? Could it be a fried pressure regulator from driving it when the line busted? The main fuel relay works, clicking when the key is in ON position and again when cranking. Could it be gunked up filters? A now weak fuel pump? What are some likely culprits that could be choking it out when trying to gas it? Help me out here please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
I've suggested that this be moved to the automotive forum where it will receive more responses.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 4,960 times
Thanks, I'm new to this particular site. Looked but didn't see categories anywhere...

Old 12-16-2013, 09:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,299,129 times
I'm not familiar with your specific vehicle, but fuel systems on fuel injected cars can be a bit complex.

There is a fuel filter, then fuel pump, a check valve, and a fuel pressure regulator. When the fuel pump is on, the pressure regulator will release excess fuel which returns to the fuel tank.

To test this you need to know what the fuel pressure should be as well as how much fuel volume (flow) there should be.

It is tested with a fuel pressure gauge for one test. Then a hose is connected to the high pressure side of the fuel system and the flow or volume is measured - how much fuel flows out of that line over time. (Like measure how much fuel you get with the pump running for 30 seconds or whatever.) The test line is directed into a can or some other collection container.

You can have the correct pressure, but there might not be very much "flow". And flow or volume is what you need when you depress the accelerator a large amount.

These tests are in the factory service information which you can get at the vehicle dealer parts department or from alldatadiy.com

Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,315,054 times
Why was the car down over a month, what was the fix to get it running again?

What material is the former ruptured fuel line made of? Was there anyone, to your knowledge, working in that area?

A little more info would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive