Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM

46 posts, read 80,117 times

Advertisements

My wife has a 1995 Lincoln 4.6 L with 83K miles which does not start in the morning, but at approximately 1 pm it will start and run perfectly and restart numerous times that afternoon. (outside barometric pressure really builds and the problem did not become evident until the weather cooled off after a record breaking heat wave/drought this summer). It seemed fuel starved since it did not flood at all during trying to start. We believe the problem is with the fuel system. I have already replaced the the fuel filter, but this did not correct the problem. Decided to get a fuel pressure test gauge and checked the pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Had the wife turn key to the on position, and no pressure was indicated on the gauge. I do not hear the fuel pump, but I never could. My thought is it probably is the fuel pump, but before I drop the tank I would like to know if there is any other possibility which I am not considering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 10:39 AM

34,106 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBear View Post
My wife has a 1995...
My thought is it probably is the fuel pump..
...is any other possibility which I am not considering.
Battery.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times
Most fuel pumps can be heard, so it's likely not running. Before dropping the tank, there is a chance that the fuel pump relay is bad, that's a $10 part as opposed to probably several hundred for the pump. Both the relay and the pump itself can have intermittent problems but then eventually die completely. Also check the fuel shutoff, probably in the trunk, maybe turn off and back on to make sure it's all the way on. Someone may have bumped it.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,013,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Battery.
I'll second this.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:06 PM

I have trace power from the battery through the relay and out of the inertia switch in the trunk . only things I see left are the the pump driver module and the pump itself. Does anybody know the exact location of the the pump driver module? It is the next thing in the circuit.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,500,952 times
Pump driver module is most likely in the trunk, left side behind some carpet.
Question: When you turn the key on, does the check engine light come on? If it does not, the fuel pump will not run. I had a similar problem with an intermittent no start, EEC power relay (for the PCM) was not always turning on. When it failed, there was no fuel pump operation, and the PCM didn't 'wake up'.

Curly

Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 PM

12 posts, read 18,159 times
What is the temperature in the morning when you try to start the car? I had a problem with a '90 Dodge Ram similar to this. No start in cold morning conditions, but it would fire right up when the sun came out and everything warmed up. Turns out, it was the computer freezing, so apparently there was some condesation built up. So check the PCU, ECM, wherever it may be located. Have you done a diagnostic test using the OBD?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:47 AM

OK I found the the fuel pump driver module, and power is coming to it on the white wire. The fuel pump driver module also is wired to the powertrain control module, but I am uncertain as to what effect that would have on the circuit. finally when I applied 12v to the wires to the pump I heard the pump run but no pressure is indicated on the gauge which I placed on the fuel rail. I just hooked the fuel pump driver module back into the circuit and I am starting to get pressure when I attempt to start the car. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 AM

25,974 posts, read 22,164,069 times
We took the car to a mechanic and he replaced the fuel-pump control module and it now starts. Part $112.00 Labor $35.00 x 1.5 for a total of $165.08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive