Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:22 PM

501 posts, read 804,096 times

Advertisements

Can someone please explain this to me? My engine light has been on and when taking it in for oil changes no one seems to think its a problem. Today I was getting my car inspected and was told this and that it failed but the individual acted like he did not want to take the time to explain this to me. I have never heard of this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,973,695 times
might be a bad freeze plug. are you losing coolant?

Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,507,464 times
Not much back by the firewall thats going to leak other than the heater hoses. it would help if you identify the liquid? How much of a puddle does it leave under the car when parked overnight? or is it only leaking when the motor is running, are you running low on any fluids? like coolant, brake fluid,power steering fluid? transmission or engine oil?

Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,166,346 times
Uh, do you mean there's a leak by the FLYWHEEL or FIREWALL? Two vastly different things. Pretty sure you meant flywheel, which means you probably have a leak from your water pump.

That can certainly be a big deal, best to have a qualified shop look at it. You may be in need of a water pump replacement. Failure to do so could result in your car losing all coolant, overheating, and destroying the engine completely if you don't catch it in time.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
might be a bad freeze plug. are you losing coolant?
No, not that I've seen. I never see any puddles in the driveway.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Uh, do you mean there's a leak by the FLYWHEEL or FIREWALL? Two vastly different things. Pretty sure you meant flywheel, which means you probably have a leak from your water pump.

That can certainly be a big deal, best to have a qualified shop look at it. You may be in need of a water pump replacement. Failure to do so could result in your car losing all coolant, overheating, and destroying the engine completely if you don't catch it in time.
I meant firewall, sorry, I always mix those two. So since its the firewall what should my next step be?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not much back by the firewall thats going to leak other than the heater hoses. it would help if you identify the liquid? How much of a puddle does it leave under the car when parked overnight? or is it only leaking when the motor is running, are you running low on any fluids? like coolant, brake fluid,power steering fluid? transmission or engine oil?
I noticed it only leaks when running now that I look at it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM

15,443 posts, read 21,438,800 times
Which light is coming on, Check Engine or Temp?

A water leak at the firewall would seem to be a heater core leaking but I can't imagine why that would fail a state safety or emissions inspection.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,807,334 times
^^^ nailed it!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:02 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,265,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Which light is coming on, Check Engine or Temp?

A water leak at the firewall would seem to be a heater core leaking but I can't imagine why that would fail a state safety or emissions inspection.
Low on coolant, engine not operating in it's specified range to be fully warmed up, most will fail emissions testing if engine isn't at operating temperature. And that would be the only reason.

Sounds like the OP has a leaky heater hose or heater core (hence-leak near firewall)
loss of coolant = thermostat not opening fully = coolant not circulating = engine not up to operating temperature.

But, on newer model cars, when the emissions inspector plugs the diagnostics into the car, it will tell the user if engine's emissions are within parameters required, onboard computer sends all information to tester's instrument, and will give information that engine isn't operating at the right temperature and which sensors are recording/flagging emissions controls. Engine does not to be running when newer cars are tested, record of operations is stored in the onboard.

Helpful information in this link:

http://www.examiner.com/article/what...issions-part-4

Quote:
Failure for High CO; CO is an indication of a Rich mixture. This is, too much fuel entering into the cylinders or not enough air. If a fuel injector is leaking into a cylinder, that cylinder will be running a richer fuel mixture causing it to run out of air and the flame burn out before the fuel is consumed properly. This is like turning off the vents on your charcoal grill and the fire goes out. The fuel is partially burned but, not all the way consumed. Engine temperature is a factor in how much of the fuel is burned. Cold engines cannot burn the fuel as well as an engine at operating temperature.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-22-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive