Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,913,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
He is, and he is correct (the other poster). Buying anything, that ultimately has no net worth other than scrap value, is called 'going broke slowly'. Leasing a (low-cost) car/truck is a wise utilization of resources. For the $650/month you stated, someone (foolishly) can lease a Mercedes S550... a $100K car.... I assume you must pay tax on that $650/mo, correct me if I am wrong. You will make a h*ll of a lot more money if you took the largest percentage you can swing of that 650, and invest it wisely.
A very poor way to spend money (IMHO) is to buy something that ends up with little/no value. In the end, the other poster still has all of his principal... what is the value of an old beat-up truck, compared to its purchase price?
Other than true collector-cars (like early Porsches, any of the true old muscle cars, like a Superbird, 'Cuda, A.C. Cobra, or antiques such as Packard, etc), and play cars, an automobile/truck is purely a necessary evil.
As someone who buys utilitarian vehicles only once every 15 years or so (garage queens aside), let me say "put your money to work for you... don't work for it".
Leasing a $100k car is over a $1000/month+ payment, unless you put thousands of dollars down (dumb!). Depending on state, taxes can be half as much when leasing (the case in CO). I pay tax on my monthly payment, not on the sale price.

You have do the math to see if leasing makes sense. If you put 20k+ miles on your car a year or you drive a car for 10+ years, buy it. If you were like me and financing a used/new car every 3-5 years, leasing makes a lot more sense. I've done the math and enjoy looking forward to a new car every 2-3 years. I like having the least amount of cash tied up in my vehicle. A $400/month rental is a hell of a deal at around $13/day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:31 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,751,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Leasing a $100k car is over a $1000/month+ payment, unless you put thousands of dollars down (dumb!). Depending on state, taxes can be half as much when leasing (the case in CO). I pay tax on my monthly payment, not on the sale price.

You have do the math to see if leasing makes sense. If you put 20k+ miles on your car a year or you drive a car for 10+ years, buy it. If you were like me and financing a used/new car every 3-5 years, leasing makes a lot more sense. I've done the math and enjoy looking forward to a new car every 2-3 years. I like having the least amount of cash tied up in my vehicle. A $400/month rental is a hell of a deal at around $13/day
never leased a vehicle, what does this include? repairs? the whole nine?

what is the insurance per month compared to buying?

Old 12-01-2013, 09:34 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,968,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I was able to pay this thing off 2 years and 1 month ahead of schedule and the sense of relief is exactly what everyone said it would be -- simply fantastic feeling & accomplishment. I just had to share.
Excellent, and good financial management. Keep the car a while longer and save the money that would have been going into the loan payments. They, instead of a negative cycle of debt, you can create a virtuous cycle of growing assets that will mean you won't need financing in the future for the car of your choice.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,523,387 times
A paid off car is a great feeling. I paid my 3 year loan off in a year and a half and loved it.

Remember though, when it's time to buy your next car, that you don't always come out ahead by paying cash.

If you've got $20,000 sitting around, and you can either purchase a new car outright with it, or invest it, you may be better off financing the new vehicle and investing the $20k.

With good credit, there are plenty of promotional 0.9% and similar APRs to be had. Finance the vehicle and toss that $20,000 into some blue chip stocks and you can reasonably expect to gain a good deal more than the 0.9% you're paying in financing fees.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I was able to pay this thing off 2 years and 1 month ahead of schedule and the sense of relief is exactly what everyone said it would be -- simply fantastic feeling & accomplishment. I just had to share.

What was the interest rate on the loan? If it was less than 3%, you should have kept paying the loan and instead invested the extra money. Cheap or "almost free" money is hard to come by.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:37 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
First of all, lots of real estate depreciates. Remember the housing crash of 2007?

Second, don't kids yourself about people's debt-load - even what they claim they can easily handle.

The only people killed in the housing crash of 2007 are those that bought their homes between 2003 and 2007.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:27 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,127,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What was the interest rate on the loan? If it was less than 3%, you should have kept paying the loan and instead invested the extra money. Cheap or "almost free" money is hard to come by.
It was 2.9%. I gave that some thought but decided at the beginning of this year that I'd pay it off as quickly as possible.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,127,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
A paid off car is a great feeling. I paid my 3 year loan off in a year and a half and loved it.

Remember though, when it's time to buy your next car, that you don't always come out ahead by paying cash.

If you've got $20,000 sitting around, and you can either purchase a new car outright with it, or invest it, you may be better off financing the new vehicle and investing the $20k.

With good credit, there are plenty of promotional 0.9% and similar APRs to be had. Finance the vehicle and toss that $20,000 into some blue chip stocks and you can reasonably expect to gain a good deal more than the 0.9% you're paying in financing fees.
Great point...I don't plan on visiting a car dealership for many years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive