Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:53 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times

Advertisements

Woot, all that cash tied up in a depreciating asset! Yeah, set aside more money for your next car! lol.

I love leasing and my sub $400 payments. No cash invested in the car. Get a new one when it needs new tires.

The bus (wife/kiddo SUV) is paid off, but doesn't make me sleep better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
First of all, lots of real estate depreciates. Remember the housing crash of 2007?

Second, don't kids yourself about people's debt-load - even what they claim they can easily handle.
Yes I do, and thanks for making more of my point.

I know people who are barely treading water, and some who are banking money while making payments. The point is that there are many of us who are paying the bills and enjoying the things we're making payments on. Although I am glad I've paid off everything but the house. It's one reason I don't step to a different car, as much fun as that might be.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,626,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider7811 View Post
Nothing better than a paid off car. I agree with now saving that money so you can pay cash for the next one.
This same account can also cover repairs.
When we paid off our van, we fell in love all over again..
Paying off you home mortgage is a way better feeling.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Woot, all that cash tied up in a depreciating asset! Yeah, set aside more money for your next car! lol.

I love leasing and my sub $400 payments. No cash invested in the car. Get a new one when it needs new tires.

The bus (wife/kiddo SUV) is paid off, but doesn't make me sleep better.
But leasing means that you always have a car payment right?

Old 11-22-2013, 04:16 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Cash is not the negotiating tool it once was. It is all but a liability now if you're buying from a dealer.

I never understood that either. By that logic almost no one can afford their homes.

When I've paid off some cars, I spent a little money to refresh them. A detail, maybe an audio tune up, splurge on better tires, make some repairs on non-essential items, etc. Just something to make the car a bit nicer. Then I start saving.
That seems crazy. I would be extra stingy if I'm buying a car cash.

Old 11-22-2013, 04:19 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Paying off you home mortgage is a way better feeling.
I can only imagine what that must be like.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
But leasing means that you always have a car payment right?
Yes, but you're using only the best time period of the car, when it will likely depreciate as much as you're paying, so you'll end up with little to no equity after the lease period. Outside of oil changes, which some forgo anyway, maintenance costs should be near zero for many manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
That seems crazy. I would be extra stingy if I'm buying a car cash.
Cash isn't useful to a car dealer. They have to protect it and physically take it to a bank, theft is always a concern, and if over $10K they have to report it to the IRS. It's a hassle. Plus, many make money off of financing they provide or offer.

Reputable car dealers can't hide cash transactions like they may have in the past. See "Fargo"!

Old 11-22-2013, 05:25 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Congrats! I'd suggest you now start putting $100 - $200 per month into a "car fund" from which you can pay for repairs, or possible get set to buy your next car.
Best Advice
I was just able to buy a car cash because this method.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Yes, but you're using only the best time period of the car, when it will likely depreciate as much as you're paying, so you'll end up with little to no equity after the lease period. Outside of oil changes, which some forgo anyway, maintenance costs should be near zero for many manufacturers.
I was sort of asking how leasing could be better financially than buying. You'll never have equity leasing unless you buy the car since you have to lease or buy another car, so all the lease payments are just renting the car.

I'm trying to decide between leasing a new car or buying and the lease just costs more if I want to buy the car beyond the lease term. At least the lease payments quoted by the dealer and I had already negotiated the final price. If the total of all lease payments did equal the purchase price minus residual value then I would do it.

Last edited by arrieros81; 11-22-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Congrats!

Now you have ample time to set "car" money aside. Aim for the next car to be an all cash purchase or mostly cash purchase.

Cingrats and THIS ^^^^ x10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive