Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:48 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,175 times

Advertisements

Who has painted their faded trim? I plan on painting my windshield wiper shroud/housing and see some people have used SEM Trim paint with good results.

Anyone use anything different that might be worth looking into?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I wouldn't go that route, paint on plastic never lasts very long. Meguire's has an "Ultimate Plastic Restore" that works great. You could also save the $8.99 and use peanut butter. I have seen the results, and it's oddly amazing. Just rub it in lightly with a microfiber cloth, as if it were car wax, and polish dry.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 AM

838 posts, read 1,353,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I wouldn't go that route, paint on plastic never lasts very long. Meguire's has an "Ultimate Plastic Restore" that works great. You could also save the $8.99 and use peanut butter. I have seen the results, and it's oddly amazing. Just rub it in lightly with a microfiber cloth, as if it were car wax, and polish dry.
Thanks Hemlock. I'll give that a try first and see how I like it.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
I agree with Hemlock . . . painting plastic can be a little risky.

If the Peanut Butter (new one on me but . . . ) doesn't work, try Back To Black from your local Auto Parts Store.

Good Luck

Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,272 times
Or Plastidip.....And when you get tired of it or it looks like crap you peel it off and redo it....

Old 10-05-2013, 08:25 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
You can paint plastic with great results, the keys are this:

1) Proper prep
2) Quality paint
3) Protecting the work afterward

SEM is the same brand of interior/trim paint sold by Late Model Restoration. I've used it before and it is very good quality. You can follow this video to learn the steps in both dying vinyl and painting plastic.

How to paint/dye interior vinyl and plastic parts - Mustang Tech - YouTube

After it's painted and cured, you'll want to use some sort of dressing with UV protection, of which there are many options. I personally like Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant and Duragloss #271. I found "Back to Black" to be pretty worthless, personally.

My recommendation is to try the #271 first and see if it restores the trim to acceptable levels. If you're dead set on painting the piece (maybe it's bad enough to require painting?) then you might just go for the Wolfgang product. Either way, you HAVE to protect the trim or it will eventually fade again.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:03 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
I have had good results using semi gloss enamel made for plastic. Just take time to cover the things around the area being painted to prevent overspray.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Black liquid Shoe Polish works much better than 'back-to-black'. But it will require annual applications.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM

8,548 posts, read 10,969,065 times
The reason trim seems to look faded is because of oxidation.
My neighbor's trim looked almost white/ light grey, and he followed a tip some one told him about, and just used a heat gun on the trim.
The heat removed the oxidation, and today the trim on his pickup looks as good as new.
He didn't need to paint, just the heat gun.
Bob.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:39 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Look for bumper/trim paint. You want an auto specialty paint w/ flex additive. Some people have had good luck with the Krylon fusion from Wal-Mart. I have used it in the past, it did work, but I wonder about long term UV exposure (sold the car soon afterward). The specialty bumper/trim paint should have UV protectors in it to prevent fading in sunlight for many years.

This is a, do it once cry once sort of thing. Whatever you do do NOT purchase dyes, they don't work long term and they are incredibly messy and will run when they get wet. The more prep required the longer lasting the treatment will be.

I have seen the heat gun trick and it works better on some trims than others. It also does not last as long as proper trim paint.

Check out Duplicolor as an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-FB...owViewpoints=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive