Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,787,024 times

Advertisements

Besides replacing it.

Does anyone know if there's any kind of spray on dye or something I can fix carpet with?

I have some used interior carpet that's in good shape, it just has a few areas where the sun bleached it over the years.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
Ritz dye, put it with water in a pump type sprayer and spray away. Comes in several colors, ca be bought at Walmart and so on.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:20 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Ritz dye, put it with water in a pump type sprayer and spray away. Comes in several colors, ca be bought at Walmart and so on.
i was thinking the same thing, though swore we used to have to "set" the color in cold water when we were tye-dying tees years ago so not sure if that would be needed on carpet somehow... or if once applied it sets up and wont come off when wet later

Old 02-15-2012, 11:21 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
What about the paint or die on the plastic steering wheel? I was in the car waiting for a passenger and I noticed that the edge of the steering wheel has been getting a little black. I thought it was ink from newspaper and I've been going to clean it when I clean out the car and wash it. But I rubbed at it a bit with a tissue and noticed it was getting more black and the spot got a little bigger. Apparently the tan color on the wheel was what was coming off and the black was underneath it.
So I'll use a cleaner and protectant( they say not to because it might make the wheel slippery) but what else can be done? Its hardly a major issue on a 13 year old car but I don't want the whole wheel to start getting mottled and spotted.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
What about the paint or die on the plastic steering wheel? I was in the car waiting for a passenger and I noticed that the edge of the steering wheel has been getting a little black. I thought it was ink from newspaper and I've been going to clean it when I clean out the car and wash it. But I rubbed at it a bit with a tissue and noticed it was getting more black and the spot got a little bigger. Apparently the tan color on the wheel was what was coming off and the black was underneath it.
So I'll use a cleaner and protectant( they say not to because it might make the wheel slippery) but what else can be done? Its hardly a major issue on a 13 year old car but I don't want the whole wheel to start getting mottled and spotted.
You can get spray dye mixed at some paint or plastic shops.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:38 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,237,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
The problem with redying carpet is that it probably won't match unless you do a large area and blend it around the edges.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,908,201 times
Rit dye works well, used to be standard procedure with used car dealers. I have done it several times, just pick a shade closest to your existing color.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
Some time ago I saw automotive carpet dye in spray cans, "Pro" brand if I remember it correctly.

You may end up doing most of the carpet with the spray if you go this way as it is not likely to match the exact color of the rest of the carpet.

A good body and paint supply store, which may be part of a regular parts store or not, would probably be the best place to find this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive