Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 03:16 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times

Advertisements

Last Thursday, took my Escape for oil change. Took car on 450 mile trip to Niagra Falls for the weekend. Today, I went out to go somewhere. Started up the car, noticed it sounded funny. Then notice oil light was on. Sound got worse, car died.

I got out, saw oil coming out underneath. Noticed the oil cap was gone. Also saw a small trail of oil into my drive way.

I called the oil change place, they will be bringing me a cap tomorrow and oil. Some how, they didnt tighten it enough. So it has been loosening for a week and mustve completely fell out yesterday when I was running errands. And perhaps I made it home just in time. Whatever oil came out today, mustve been just residual stuff from the engine. Because its not close to the amount of oil from full tank.

Obviously, if the car sounds awful or doesnt start, Ill know there is damage. But what if it starts and seems okay. Is there anything else I should check for? Maybe just take a drive on the parkway and see how it goes?

I imagine this place has insurance, and in the event there is a major problem, hopefully they wouldnt fight taking care of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
If the oil light didn't come on during your 450 mile road trip, then I wouldn't worry about that. What matters is how long the oil light was on, and how long it ran with it on.

You need to get under there and drain the oil so you can measure just how much oil you still have in the car. Do not add oil or start the car again until this is done, in case you have to fight the shop over possible repairs.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Are you writing about the oil cap or the oil plug? How much oil can escape if the cap comes off? If the plug comes off, yes, all the oil drains out. Just want to understand this.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:29 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,854,050 times
If I am reading this correct, meaning that your engine started sounding funny, oil light came on and then it died, I think your engine is done. Usually when the oil light comes on, it is already too late.

No, I don't buy the loose part, I think they just forgot to put the cap on and you gradually lost oil. The question about the cap vs drain plug is a valid one.

Let me guess, this is a quicky lube place....

I won't let them off the hook with a cap and oil. They need to replace your engine, well actually pay for it; I wouldn't let them touch the car. Document everything, call the store manager and request at least a used engine with a one year warranty.

Otherwise, you can go to small claims court.

Sorry for your trouble.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:49 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,034,448 times
Sorry, I meant the oil plug.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Sorry, I meant the oil plug.
That's what I thought. Once they forgot to put the nylon washer on with my plug and a bunch of oil leaked in my garage. So, you got to double check these guys.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:59 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
If it's the drain plug, then you lost ALL the oil. Serious damage may have resulted. Take pictures of the plug missing. Also make sure they do TWO oil changes. The first is to run clean oil through the engine, then drain after a few minutes, and check for metal shavings from bearings and such in the clean oil, easier to see. Then, take the filter that is on there now, and cut it open. Take pictures of what you find, because if there is shiny slivers in the oil filter, that means your engine experienced excessive wear and those are tiny bits of metal in there.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:39 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
That's what I thought. Once they forgot to put the nylon washer on with my plug and a bunch of oil leaked in my garage. So, you got to double check these guys.
Everyone makes mistakes. The important thing is this oil place learned their lesson.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,912,049 times
Probabilities are high it came off on your street. You won't drive far with zero oil in the engine-half mile or less. There should be a trail down the street from your driveway to the exact place it came out. Damage may be absolutely none, then again it depends on how far you drove it. The good news, Ford uses low tension rings so I would doubt damage to the rings or block. The lower end, if it has any kinda miles on it probably is okay. If you are mechanically inclined and can change the oil yourself, I'd run whatever oil they put in it about 500 miles. Pull the oil out of it and at mid stream take a sample of it. Send it to any lab, like a CAT lab or Blackstone with a letter explaining the issue. You need a Ferrography test and a particle count. That will tell what damage, if any, and how much damage. I'd chat with the oil change place about them paying for the tests. Yer talking about $150.00 worth of tests.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Cars run a lot longer without oil than coolant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive