Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 02:16 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,413,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Honda SUV or the Honda Pickup
Any of the Subarus
i have a honda ridgeline and it is a great truck. however, i do not recommend it for daily driving if gas mileage is a high priority. btw, awd is standard on the ridgeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 04:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,898,255 times
You might want to look at the Vibe/Matrix (Pontiac/Toyota - same car). It is good (but not great) at both and not too expensive. Pretty practical car too. (Not pretty or fast, but useful).

Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,181,321 times
I have a 2012 Subaru Impreza that is great in snow and I get better than the EPA estimate 27/35. I've gotten over 39 mpg on the highway on long trip going a few miles over the posted speed limit. It was pretty cheap, too. Starting in 2012 Subaru put a CVT in this car, which greatly increased the gas mileage, and yet the car has lots of pick-up. I can easily pass going up long grades if I need to.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 PM

872 posts, read 1,264,199 times
SubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSu baruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSuba ruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaru SubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaruSu baruSubaruSubaruSubaruSubaru.

That is all.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM

581 posts, read 1,304,795 times
Subaru Outback FTW!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I live in WI and drive a Chevy Equinox, it's AWD, has traction control drive, so it handles deep snow with ease, never, ever thought I would get stuck, even in foot deep snow. The fun thing is you can power thru turns in deep snow that should send you spinning out of control, but the traction control keeps you going straight, with no sliding around. It also has a surprising amount of power, I have never had a prob passing these slow Iowa drivers on these two lane 55mph state roads.
Yes, modern AWD or 4WD automobiles with traction control do very well on snow and ice. In the interior of Alaska trucks of all kinds are quite popular, and all newer trucks are AWD and incorporate traction control. The Toyota Rav 4, Honda CRV, Subaru, some Mazda AWD automobiles, and so on...all do very well in the worst winter conditions up here. A good set of tires make these vehicles quite surefooted on sleek roads. Blizzack tires are perhaps the most popular in the interior of Alaska because most winter driving is done or glare ice or packed snow.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,189,124 times
Lots of great responses here, still going to be a few months before I buy, looking to get a few months more of savings for down payment before the bad weather hits by mid December. I guess that step number 1 in making this decision is deciding between a sedan or a small suv/crossover. I know that the car itself doesn't make or break the performance in the snow, tires having a lot to do with it. But after having a small, low to the ground, and all around terrible winter car, I'm starting to like the thought of a larger and even higher vehicle.

Thoughts on sedan vs. suv/crossover? I'm sure it depends on personal preference. Before I would've strictly stuck with a car for the sleeker appearance, but I'm thinking more in a practical sense now. Sad thing is I'm 23 now and bought my Mustang when I was 17, I feel too young to be thinking practical.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
If you want something higher, but not the size of a small SUV, the Subaru XV Crosstrek mentioned above would be a good compromise, though the Outback and Forester are also good considerations as they sit higher. The Volvo XC wagons sit higher, as do the XC SUVs, though the XC60 might be a bit larger than you need, and would tend to be a bit over the preferred price point.

In terms of sedan versus a vehicle with cargo room, the practicality of the wagon/SUV will enable you to carry more passengers/cargo than the Mustang. Something along the lines of the XV Crosstrek is not larger than a sedan, but has the height/versatility of a small SUV, while retaining a car-like ride/handling. I've never been enamored of Subaru sedans, since I think the real selling point is the cargo capability with all-weather traction for the brand. For an AWD sedan, I would look more to Volvo for the S60, or an Audi A4, though you would be looking at a CPO to stay in budget.

I know that your preference is to buy pre-owned and 2-4 years old, but the XV might be difficult to find in such case. First, Subarus tend to be bought for a longer time, and second, the vehicle is too new to fit that preference. Subaru is supposedly working on a hybrid XV, but it is not yet ready for market.

Since you are open to a small SUV, you may consider a CPO Acura RDX. The Acura has the SH-AWD that Acura uses in its sedans and the larger MDX. It is a good system, but the mileage is good for a crossover, not as high as you would find with some of the Subarus.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 723,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
If the g35 is amazing in snow you could go for the g25x, it gets a lot better mileage

If that's out of the price range maybe consider a Subaru? They get decent mileage and are amazing in snow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Just to add. I'm probably looking at around 20k for a vehicle and plan to buy used, around 2-4 years old.
Here's mine. It's a little older than your 2-4 years, but it's been maintained maticulously. Not your average Suby One owner (me). Super reliable and recently did the trans fluid, rear end fluis, sparkplugs and full service (e oil, filters, lubed, etc). It laughs at winter... I've never once needed to put winter tires on it, just run my all-season performance tires, even in the worst Oregon winters. Price is negotiable. Holla with any questions.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:25 PM

503 posts, read 1,205,938 times
After reading all these posts, I can't for the life of me figure out why nobody has suggested a Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive