Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 PM

34,262 posts, read 83,547,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
trying to find that perfect balance between fuel economy and performance in winter weather.
I live in the Chicago area and drive around 600 miles over the course of the week for my job.

Any suggestions on a happy medium?
Two different cars.

With 600 miles per week in deductible mileage expense...
you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,048,205 times
If you're in flat territory, just about anything would be all right, as long as you have good tires and common sense. 4x4 is useful in the hills, although I get by with my light-weight, front wheel drive Saturn just fine, and I live in Maine.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:09 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,093,352 times
Quote:
As the title says, I am on the search for a vehicle and trying to find that perfect balance between fuel economy and performance in winter weather. I live in the Chicago area and drive around 600 miles over the course of the week for my job. My job is in sales and my territory covers parts of 3 counties. My Ford Mustang is terrible for this, bad on gas mileage and bad in snow. I'm looking to make a decision before winter begins.

The area I travel in is primarily flat, but there are some roads with numerous curves and when snow does occur it blows and drifts all over in the country. I know Chicago doesn't get massive amounts of snow, but when we do get it, it often lingers around for quite a while. I would like some peace of mind, given that I spend upwards of 12 hours of the work week in my car. At the same time, fuel economy is a high priority too. My Mustang eats gas, so in reality, just about anything would be an improvement.

Any suggestions on a happy medium?
There is a reason that cold, snowy Minnesota is full of Subarus.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:11 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,454,605 times
I did just fine with anything with decent tires when I was in Chicago.
Tires tires tires.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,604,642 times
Ford Taurus. It does well in the snow and gets 18/27. They also fall right into your price range for the most part and you don't need to bother with AWD for these.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,872,246 times
Subaru...with snow tires if you are very serious. Buy spare wheels/rims and swap em yourself if possible.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,293,741 times
I would look at a Subaru Legacy or an Audi/VW.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,901 posts, read 58,628,661 times
For normal driving (highways and streets) Frt wheel drive is likely OK

For economy I use TDI VW 50 mpg

for country roads in the boonies and at all night (where I drive in mtns / prairie)
AudiA3 quattro TDI 42 mpg

(I use a beater VW Rabbit... cost me $35 bucks for the WHOLE car. 50 mpg)

I have had a few Subies, they are sure footed but not as economical as Diesel.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,520,368 times
Subaru, Audi, and Volvo would be considerations for a good vehicle in terms of snow performance and economy. Tires are the key, but there are times when the AWD systems are more sure-footed in winter driving. Audi is going to have higher maintenance costs than Subaru or Volvo, but if buying used, I would look to CPO at the dealer to get a longer warranty period.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 PM

16,415 posts, read 30,476,088 times
Quote:
As the title says, I am on the search for a vehicle and trying to find that perfect balance between fuel economy and performance in winter weather. I live in the Chicago area and drive around 600 miles over the course of the week for my job. My job is in sales and my territory covers parts of 3 counties. My Ford Mustang is terrible for this, bad on gas mileage and bad in snow. I'm looking to make a decision before winter begins.

One warning. No matter what vehicle you choose, you will see a major decline in mileage due to the snow and the gasoline formulation used in the winter months in Chicago. I took my car to my mechanic as I was concerned about it. He said that several people were experiencing the same decline.

As for handling in snow, tires are very critical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive