Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 AM

741 posts, read 1,759,785 times

Advertisements

I have a bidder bought my used car in eBay last night. The buyer is in out of state about 1100 miles from my location.

This is the first time I am selling a car through eBay.

I have sent a message to the buyer and the buyer has not responded yet.

Please advice what is the safest and best way to proceed with the transaction:

1. Receiving the money from the Buyer:
a. What are the best ways to receive the money from the Buyer - Paypal or Certified Check or Money
Order?
b. Would I need to wait for the money to be deposited before I ship the car?

2. Shipping the car:
a. I believe that the ebay site has mentioned that the buyer is responsible for shipping the car.
b. If so, would the buyer need to arrange for the shipment of the car

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,466,338 times
When you listed the car for sale on eBay, you were asked what form of payment you accepted. Likewise, you should have decided who is responsible for shipping.

That said....it's practically a given that the buyer is responsible for shipping.

Personally, I'd require a cashier's check and I would ask my bank to check on that cashier's check's validity and funding before depositing it.

You will need to make some type of arrangement for the buyer to pick-up the vehicle and probably get the title transferred and notarized.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-20-2013, 12:36 PM

11,403 posts, read 16,800,471 times
Selling a big ticket item on ebay is not for everyone.

You should have also indicated how you would like to receive payment.

Upon receipt if it's a bank check, call the bank to verify that it's legit. If it's paypal, they will not allow you to withdraw the funds for X days. Sort of gives protection to the buyer.

It also might help if you show the auction link to see how it was listed.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
If it's paypal, they will not allow you to withdraw the funds for X days. Sort of gives protection to the buyer.
Which is one reason I would not accept PayPal payment for a vehicle. There's no protection for the seller if they come and collect your vehicle then refuse to agree to pay you. You've already given them the car and most likely signed over the title. Since procession is the largest percentage of the law....you are left with few options. Suing someone out of State makes it even more aggravating.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-20-2013, 01:07 PM

741 posts, read 1,759,785 times
I just noticed that I had the following in my listing. Apparently I chose these options or automatically generated, when I created the listing

Payment methods accepted

1.Cashier's Check (certified from US or Canadian bank) or money order
2.Full payment Required within 3 days of auction close.

Shipping:
1. Sells to: United States
2. Buyer is responsible for vehicle pickup or shipping

Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Great! Now just make sure that cashier's check is valid and make arrangements for the buyer to collect the vehicle and transfer the title.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-20-2013, 02:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,067,123 times
I sell on Ebay myself. I always indicate that I want PayPal, unless my item is for pickup and then it is cash or a Banks Check. Also, I indicate on my Ebay how many days I give them to pay and if they don't, I open up a problem report with Ebay. Also, I know someone years ago who did buy a car off of Ebay. He drove up from KY to PA to pick it up.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,201,667 times
I thought eBay had fairly specific protocols for buying and selling big-ticket items such as cars?

Anyhow, it is a two-way trust thing. Both buyer and seller have to be mutually assured that each party is being authentic and honest. I'd imagine that on eBay one indicator would be the person's history and feedback. I used to do a lot of selling and some buying on eBay and no way would I consider a major transaction with someone newly joined with minimal feedback.

I sold a $16,500 car online (not eBay but a Saab fancier site) and the buyer and I spent quite a bit of time communicating to each other that we weren't scam artists! Then he flew to my state and we made sure everything was verified and legit on both ends before he got the car and I got the money.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM

My Brother won the auction on a Ford truck. The seller had no reserve on it.

The seller decided he wanted more money and eBay did nothing about it. They simply said they can't force him to sell it at the auction price.

They do little to nothing about people who don't pay either.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM

774 posts, read 1,698,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post

The seller decided he wanted more money and eBay did nothing about it. They simply said they can't force him to sell it at the auction price.

They do little to nothing about people who don't pay either.
eBay's dirty little secret is that the more auctions fail, the more relisting fees they get.

Also, be careful of 'certified' 'bank' checks... they are sometimes fake or fraudulent. My bank (Citibank) takes three or four days to verify one. I always have buyers wire the funds to my account but then I have a substantial and flawless record on eBay which helps with (natural) buyer nervousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive