Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times

Advertisements

I have lifetime powertrain warranties on both my Sonata and Tundra, but haven't had to use either of them (Sonata still under factory warranty). They were both included in the price of the vehicles and weren't an option.

(Both of these were bought at the same Toyota dealer slightly used)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,593,612 times
If you get a vehicle with a lifetime warranty, you had better follow the guidelines for maintenance to a T because they will look for any reason to not cover a problem should one occur.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,184,233 times
You'd be surprised at how they will try to weasel out of anything, the definition often used is "internally lubricated" and if you aren't able to produce evidence of every maintencne interval being followed they will drop your claim like a hot potatoe.

I don't pay for extended warranties. The last one I was offered was $4800 for 40,000 miles of coverage. 65,000 trouble free miles later I feel pretty good about that decision.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
Last I knew Toyota itself did not sell extended warranties;it was sold thru regional distributor of some type. Honda does tho as many others do.Then of course there are all the others independent sellers.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:18 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
Well my 03 Camry just went past 76k and the warranty was not used. I would also check CR. I got the dealer to eat the factory ext warr, not used. If it were a truck for towing sure.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,570,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
If you get a vehicle with a lifetime warranty, you had better follow the guidelines for maintenance to a T because they will look for any reason to not cover a problem should one occur.
This is very true. My Tacoma was burning up brake pads and eventually I had to replace the rotors and calipers due to a faulty caliper. I did not have my truck serviced by Toyota and they would not pay for the repairs. It only had 25k miles on it. They want all things serviced by Toyota. If you miss a scheduled service they will weasel their way out of any repairs. Service at dealers is a huge rip-off.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM

358 posts, read 887,781 times
With any new vehicle, you are unlikely to have any major powertrain problems in less than 150,000 miles. Will you keep the vehicle that long?

Keep in mind, a "powertain" warranty does not usually cover modules, electronics, clutch (manual), and pretty much any other part or component that typically wear out. Some do not cover gasket failure (the most common engine failure).

So, unless you will keep the vehicle in excess of 150,000 miles and during that time compulsively perform every recommended maintenance right on time (never late) and keep good records of the maintenance and mileage, then your warranty is not likely to provide you any benefit. You also have to make certain you do not misplace the warranty during that time as well. You also have to sign up with a warranty company that will still be in business when your car gets to the mileage level at which the drive-train fails. If you accomplish all of those things, you are in luck. When your drive train failure occurs, the 99% of other people who purchased the same warranty paid for your repair for you. You also might fall into the 5% or so purchasers who have an early drive train failure. You also have to have a warranty company that will actually honor the warranty rather than finding excuses for denying the claim.

Also keep in mind that damage caused by the failure of a non-drive train item is usually not covered. Thus, if a leaking coolant hose causes the motor to overheat and fail, you will likely have no coverage.

Between my personal and business vehicles I estimate I have owned over 100 vehicles. The number of significant drive train failures prior to 100,000 miles = 1.

If your extended warranty is $60, it might be worthwhile in my estimation. However I would certinaly not pay $1000 for such a warranty.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:40 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,237,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post
I am currently shopping for a new car specifically - 2013 Toyota Camry.

One of the dealer mentioned that the deal includes lifetime powertrain warranty that covers - Transmission, Engine and Drivetrain.

While the other mentioned that I can purchase for 6 year powertrain warranty and an another dealer mentioned that he cannot afford to provide it with the deal.

I am wondering how reliable are these powertrain warranty. Are these sales gimmicks? How seriously I should consider this in to my purchase decision

Please advice

Thanks!
Ever see the movie "Tommy Boy"? Well, if you want a label "extended warranty" on the box, I'll put a label on the box...not a problem.....If the waiter tells you it's a steak, you could always look up the cow's behind but, I'd rather take his word for it.....

I've got a 99 Camry with 203,000 miles...and counting on it....if there were ever a car that probably doesn't NEED an extended drivetrain and engine warranty, it's a Toyota. Although, with the new CVT transmissions??? Maybe and ONLY because they are a ransom to fix. Same with ALL manufacturers. CVT's are still relatively new so....there's......that.....

Go ahead, get it from a guy who will "slap the label on the box" but, I'd rather take a Toyota's owners word for it? This is my 2nd Camry since 1992....22 years, 2 camrys and the 2nd is STILL going.....oh and yes, it's the original transmission...shifts as smooth as when I bought it...why? I kept flushing the fluid very 50,000 miles....result? Same transmission, no leaks, no smell, shifts smooth 203,000 and 14.7 years later......

If you are going to KEEP a car, then this is the way to go....if you like to replace them after the new smell is gone, buy the cheapest GM product with 0% financing and flip that sled every 3-5 years.

No matter what you do, buy the Toyota. Why buy misery?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:51 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,505,193 times
I see some are getting screwed by dealers refusing to honor because you got work done elsewhere............that's against the law look up the Magnusson act and contact the local dealer rep. Toyota pulled this BS about 5 years back when they came out with the hybrid camry and 6 speed tranny. I don't recall the details but they had to honor after some lawsuits and government involvement.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,184,233 times
The Magnusson act covers manufacterers, not aftermarket warranties, which aren't really a warranty as much as an insurance policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive