Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM

175 posts, read 491,574 times

Advertisements

I just discovered that Carfax and Autocheck are a false sense of security. I almost purchased a toyota sienna from a dealer in clearwater florida, called Florida Cars. They buy cars that are damaged/salvaged and have clear titles. The sell them saying look Clear Titles!!!
Look in Ebay item number 281124294682, then run the vin 1G6KD5EY2AU100218 on the salvage database.
Vehicle salvage history: VIN number - 1G6KD5EY2AU100218
Tell me if this not a scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
Its not a scam. If the titles are clear, the titles are clear. A lot of things do not get reported to Carfax. Carfax is in no way shape for form 100% accurate. It is just a tool to help you with your purchase. Yes that car has been in an accident. But where company's like autocheck/carfax cover them self is "No accident record reported through accident data sources" if their data sources do not report them, how do you expect them to know?

That being said, I think that price accurately represents a car that's been in an accident

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,002,224 times
A carfax should not give anyone a false sense of security if they recognize what it really is. It is definately wise not to use it as the last word on a car. That said, it may also often turn up things a lot of people would miss too.

It's a tool to be used with a variety of other tools and observations in assessing a vehicle.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
I could not agree more with Me007Gold and Checkered24 . . .

CarFax is nothing more than a "first round guide" and should never be considered the ultimate.

In fact, CarFax is just another example of the . . . POOP IN = POOP OUT theory.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:24 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
That vehicle was no salvage title. It had damage. So it did. Any vehicle on the road, after yey many years around, will have some sort of a damage.
Now, should it have been salvage title, it'd have had a nice little sticker on pillar B. And THAT is under penalty of law to remove.
Otherwise, if it was fixed right and the price is right - who gives. It's metal.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,678,248 times
Doesn't look like a scam. The DeVille in this example has a title free of any brands (salvage, flood, etc). The car sustained previous damage, but it wasn't declared a total loss (i.e. salvage). That makes it like a lot of other cars on the road, which were repaired to some extent, at some point.

Also, Carfax and Autocheck just report what's reported to them. They may not pick up any damage at all, or they might pick up everything that happened to a car. In this case, the Autocheck report did not show any accidents, even though there was apparently some damage done to the car in the past.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:04 AM

175 posts, read 491,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Doesn't look like a scam. The DeVille in this example has a title free of any brands (salvage, flood, etc). The car sustained previous damage, but it wasn't declared a total loss (i.e. salvage). That makes it like a lot of other cars on the road, which were repaired to some extent, at some point.

Also, Carfax and Autocheck just report what's reported to them. They may not pick up any damage at all, or they might pick up everything that happened to a car. In this case, the Autocheck report did not show any accidents, even though there was apparently some damage done to the car in the past.
The point I was getting accross is that many sellers provide free Autochecks and Carfaxs on their listings and buyers that are looking for accident free vehicles look at those reports. When Autocheck has a big headline "NO ACCIDENTS" on the report then people are interested.
Many out of state buyers rely on this reports, I know you should check it out yourself, but these reports are a false sense have no value as far as I am concerned. They only benefit the seller!!!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
any company that tried to keep track of accidents and other items, will never be 100% EVER. carfax and others are just one step along the way in determining if you should buy a particular car or not. if you depend completely on carfax and other services, you are an idiot.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:55 PM

774 posts, read 2,601,286 times
I wouldn't call Carfax false or a scam but I know for a fact that they are grossly inaccurate and a huge waste of time and money.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 10,259 times
You can also get instant vehicle history reports on used cars from VinAudit.com.
VinAudit.com provides a government-sourced VIN lookup service for less cost than Carfax Get your
report for only $4.99 using this link:
[url]http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon=FRM_50OFF[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive