Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 PM

424 posts, read 670,016 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever done this? I'm looking to buy a 2013 Kia Sportage EX and the lowest I can get a dealer in the Dallas area to is around $23,000. This is more than I want to spend.

I noticed that a dealer in Oklahoma City is selling a few of the same model for $19,600. I'm assuming it's because they had that tornado recently?

Anyways, what are your opinions on this? I feel like this may be too good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM

142 posts, read 678,242 times
Have you tried TRUEcar? TRUEcar pricing are usually close to invoce. In addition, if the Dallas dealer accepts TRUEcar pricing, a price negotiation won't be necessary.

As for the OK car, I'd steer away due to the tornadoes. Too many uncertainties.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM

424 posts, read 670,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoua1 View Post
Have you tried TRUEcar? TRUEcar pricing are usually close to invoce. In addition, if the Dallas dealer accepts TRUEcar pricing, a price negotiation won't be necessary.

As for the OK car, I'd steer away due to the tornadoes. Too many uncertainties.
Thank for the advice. I do know that this vehicle is part of the hail sale that they're having. If I talk to the dealer beforehand and got up-to-date pics and information on the car, you would still recommend that I steer clear? It just seems like such a steal! Even with whatever slight damage it probably got.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,213,619 times
I have done this before. Got a much better price in a different state. It is definitely more of a hassle since you then have to get it registered in your state and pay any applicable fees/taxes.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM

844 posts, read 1,660,822 times
Storm damage deal?

Are you sure their vehicles are in good condition?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,142,751 times
If the vehicle is covered in hail damage, that isn't a steal, it's an accurate value based on what you said the car in Dallas is going for, all things being equal. Personally, unless you plan on getting it fixed, I would pass on the hail damaged car. It'll be nearly impossible to sell in the future or trade in.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,910,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post
Has anyone ever done this? I'm looking to buy a 2013 Kia Sportage EX and the lowest I can get a dealer in the Dallas area to is around $23,000. This is more than I want to spend.

I noticed that a dealer in Oklahoma City is selling a few of the same model for $19,600. I'm assuming it's because they had that tornado recently?

Anyways, what are your opinions on this? I feel like this may be too good to be true.
Better check you state laws before purchasing a new vehicle out of state. It's not legal to do so in California.
Buy a new vehicle out of state if you are a resident of Calif, it must have more than 7500 miles on it or it's considered new and you can't register it. The state does that so residents won't go out of state to save money. There are exceptions if you are in the military, and a few other reasons, but for the most part it's illegal.
That may not be the case in the state you live in, but I would sure check before making a big mistake..

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,046,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If the vehicle is covered in hail damage, that isn't a steal, it's an accurate value based on what you said the car in Dallas is going for, all things being equal. Personally, unless you plan on getting it fixed, I would pass on the hail damaged car. It'll be nearly impossible to sell in the future or trade in.
i'd also suggest to check with your insurance agent to see how the coverage would be affected on a new car already damaged, even if "slight".

Old 06-20-2013, 10:35 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,182,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Better check you state laws before purchasing a new vehicle out of state. It's not legal to do so in California.
Buy a new vehicle out of state if you are a resident of Calif, it must have more than 7500 miles on it or it's considered new and you can't register it
. The state does that so residents won't go out of state to save money. There are exceptions if you are in the military, and a few other reasons, but for the most part it's illegal.
That may not be the case in the state you live in, but I would sure check before making a big mistake..

Say what??
Of course you can buy a new vehicle from another state as a CA resident as long as the vehicle (emissions) is 50-state certified. The vehicle must have less than 7500 miles to be considered new.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansgirl View Post

Just another point to consider, VansGirl . . . TAXES.

Way back in 2005 I was shopping for a new Chevy SSR and found "the perfect deal" at a dealer in the middle of nowhere Illinois. I took the "plunge" and have never looked back . . . except for the 1600 mile trip (flight there and drive home) it was absolutely the most enjoyable vehicle purchase I have ever made.

Much to my surprise, once I arrived home and began the New Title / Registration process at the DMV, I learned the state of Arizona only assesses the actual State Sales Tax on new vehicles purchased out of state . . . no County or City "add-on" Taxes which dropped the total tax due from over 9% to about 5%.

That was a significant additional savings I was not expecting and more than paid for the trip.

My advice . . . GO FOR IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive