Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,942,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Say what??
Of course you can buy a new vehicle from another state as a CA resident as long as the vehicle (emissions) is 50-state certified. The vehicle must have less than 7500 miles to be considered new.

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29
Wrong. If you bring a car into the state, it must have more than 7500 miles on it, or have been registered in another state first, so if you want to drive around the block for 7500 miles, or register it in the state where purchased, then you can bring it into state.
It's done to protect California dealers from people driving out of state to save money.
Health and Safety Code Section 43151 Prohibited Transactions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,235,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Wrong. If you bring a car into the state, it must have more than 7500 miles on it, or have been registered in another state first, so if you want to drive around the block for 7500 miles, or register it in the state where purchased, then you can bring it into state.
It's done to protect California dealers from people driving out of state to save money.

Did you read my link to the CA DMV?

Your link says you cannot purchase from out of state "unless such motor vehicle engine or motor vehicle has been certified pursuant to this chapter." i.e. emission-certified, that's why it's under Health and Safety Codes not "It's done to protect California dealers from people driving out of state to save money." lol

Old 06-20-2013, 12:05 PM

9,325 posts, read 22,081,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Did you read my link to the CA DMV?

Your link says you cannot purchase from out of state "unless such motor vehicle engine or motor vehicle has been certified pursuant to this chapter." i.e. emission-certified, that's why it's under Health and Safety Codes not "It's done to protect California dealers from people driving out of state to save money." lol
My sister bought a new car out of state that met California emissions and had no trouble registering in CA.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM

142 posts, read 678,965 times
OP, the price for the OK vehicle has been adjusted for hail-damage. As someone posted, check with your insurance company on how they'll proceed with it.

Moreover, there may be water damage from all the rain. If you do proceed with this purchase, you'll run into the issue of warranty work - if the vehicle maker (Ford/GM/Jeep) voids the warranty due to possible damage from "acts of God", the Dealer you buy it from may offer to repair those damages for free, but your local dealer may not. That means you'd have to drive to the selling-dealership for service.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:54 PM

548 posts, read 1,223,503 times
I did that because there is only two VW dealerships in my state and they both think they can charge whatever they feel like so we bought a car for a relative steal in Arizona and made a trip out of it. I would say go for it, but only after you consider the following:

1. make sure that the price difference is the result of market pressures, not any damage to the vehicle
2. check the registration/taxes issue to make sure that you don't have to pay registration and taxes in both states (or if you do that you still save money)
3. get a firm price agreement with the OK dealership before you go out there (and assurance in writing that it is not damaged -- if it is damaged, then you do need to check it out in person and make sure you are okay with that)
4. have a plan to drive the car back that is cost-effective. The trip isn't too far, but there are gas costs (especially if you are having a friend drive your old vehicle back -- and you would have to recruit someone to do that -- and if you are trading it in, you have to make sure that they are giving you a deal that is the same or better than you would otherwise get or else that would cut into your savings too)
5. recognize there will be extra paperwork/headaches in registering the car (and perhaps financing too, if you are going that route)

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

3,727 posts, read 4,912,713 times
I live in MD and bought a new car last year in DE because that dealer had a better price. It was just as easy as getting it in MD. They charged me MD taxes and sent all the paperwork to MD's MVA (DMV). I left the dealer with DE temporary tags and went back almost a month later to pick up my new MD tags which were sent to the dealer.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:22 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,935,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Wow. Do you think that this protectionism keeps prices artificially high?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,935,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
I live in MD and bought a new car last year in DE because that dealer had a better price. It was just as easy as getting it in MD. They charged me MD taxes and sent all the paperwork to MD's MVA (DMV). I left the dealer with DE temporary tags and went back almost a month later to pick up my new MD tags which were sent to the dealer.
I'm in the market for a new car myself, and am not opposed to a bit of a drive to find a good deal. Prices in the DC area are pretty cheap. Do you find prices in general to be lower in DE or was this just a fluke?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:22 AM

9,325 posts, read 22,081,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedtodave View Post
I'm in the market for a new car myself, and am not opposed to a bit of a drive to find a good deal. Prices in the DC area are pretty cheap. Do you find prices in general to be lower in DE or was this just a fluke?
I was also surprised how cheaperbitbis in DC. Bogus documentation fees are high there though. I saved quite a lot on my fiat 500c that it was worth a 1 way ticket from NH to pick up the car and drive the car home.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,938,750 times
I bought a car in NJ while I lived in PA. The dealer took care of the registration and the plates. I just had to get it inspected in PA (even though it was new), but they reimbursed me for that.

If you call the dealer, I'm sure they will do what they can. Often times dealerships are owned by larger companies who have multi-state operations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive