Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times

Advertisements

Two things I don't like about frame less windows....

1. The windows can pop out at high rates of speed

2. They're much easier for a thief to break into as opposed to framed windows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Two things I don't like about frame less windows....

1. The windows can pop out at high rates of speed

2. They're much easier for a thief to break into as opposed to framed windows
Yep, less support for the window. Also I believe that wind noise is more, especially in a situation where the window isn't snug against the foam gasket (or whatever it was called) because of cold or binding or about four other reasons.

Absolutely. Bent coat hanger with a loop.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:25 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Newer cars where the window goes up into the roofline of the car do not have either of those problems, and they have less wind noise, as its the most aerodynamic method to have.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,545 times
I like the frameless windows. Have them on a 2001 Subaru Forester, but noticed that Subaru changed that with later model years. Our 2007 Mini Cooper has frameless windows.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
The one thing you need to be careful if you have the type that drops down and up when you open the door is if it is very cold and it freezes. I had that happen a few times.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Thanks for the laugh! I really needed that today. The doors on that 71 Monaco were about half the size of yer ZX. They were HUGE as was the glass. Park on an incline to the side of the car and you weren't getting out. The doors were heavy, heavy, heavy. As you can see from the pic the doors went from the kick panel to just passed the front of the rear seat cushion. Easy even for a big guy to get in and out of the back.

Nice looking ride!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
A lot of it is just style of the cars being built. But that said, there truly is safety design reasons too, such as side impact crashes and especially roll overs. A Sedan (aka framed window) is less likely to pop out in a side impact or rollover. This is considered "good" because it can help keep the passenger inside the vehicle if the glass is in place. These also make a quieter "cabin" for passengers without having to use expensive better seals. Also easier to prevent the window "pop out" at high speeds.
With a hardtop ( or aka frameless ) while they look better (in my opinion) at high speeds, yes, they can get sucked out at the top and break the glass. It scares the hell out of you the first time it happens, it sounds like a 60mm cannon going off next to your head. (I plead the fifth at this point. ). The other issues they look at in car building is safety again. With the hardtop, better seals have to be used to make the inside quiet enough for normal conversation volumes, but a side effect is a weaker mid section of the car in a side impact. It may not seem like much, but a framed door will take a min. 3-5 mph faster hit before the door caves into the passenger or driver. It truly is a big safety issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive